• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Ostreopsis Dinos???

Anyone here fought Ostreopsis Dinos and won? Tank is 4.5 months old. I've been fighting Ostreopsis Dinos now since 2/16. So many people say they should have been gone in a week, but mine persist. I am running a 36W UV at 100gph on my 50 gallon tank. My nutrients were 0, but have been steady at 12-15 Nitrate and .07-.09 Phosphates since 3/7 since dosing NeoPhos and NeoNitro. The UV runs 24/7. I have tried cutting down my light schedule to only 3 hours a day, but as soon as I go back to full schedule, they slowly start coming back. The rocks are clean of ostreo, but it keeps coming back in the sand. I stir up the sand bed every night with the lights off. What else am I missing? What am I doing wrong? Please help! This is super aggravating and making me wonder why I got back into this hobby.............

horseplay

NJRC Member
Reduced lighting won't work. Must be a black out for 3 days. I have my tank in a dark room with window shades on and it worked just as well as putting cardboard on the tank. So it doesn't have to be super dark.

You might need repeat treatment if it comes back in a week or two. But eventually you will beat it.

I have, lower the lights, dose phyto, no water changes, as infrequently as possible suck them out with some airline tubing