• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

OT: What a night

Well, since I've been up all night, and can't stop from thinking about it, I thought I might as well post.

Starts off like any normal Sunday evening. Wife's getting dinner ready, I'm feeding the tank wondering how I'm gonna sneak all the GB stuff into the house without the boss finding out, kids are running around like they've just snorted 20 pounds of crank.

We start eating, discussing the weekend and what everyone did, and the wife says "What's burning? Did I leave the stove on?" As she gets up to check the stove, she passes glances out the back door and yells, "The house is on fire! The house is on fire!"

Seeing the panicked look on her face, I tell everyone to get up and get out of the house through the front door and call 911 when they're outside. I go to take a look at what exactly is on fire.

Sure enough, the back of the house is a glow of orange and yellow. I run out in to the backyard and start assessing the situation.

Let's see 5 foot flames, umm more flames, plastic burning, propane cylinder, satellite dish, burning lawn mower, more flames, grill, siding, PROPANE CYLINDER!

Grabbed the cylinder out of the flames and sent it flying across the yard. Took the grill, which also had a propane tank connected to it, and pulled that out of the way. Picked up a rake (which happeed to be in the flames) and started trying to smother some of the flames with loose dirt.

Pull out the hose turn the water on and nothin. Forgot I shutoff the water two weeks ago. Crap!

At this point, my wife comes back to see why I wasn't out front yet. She see's me dragging the lawn mower (electric), in flames, across the yard. She starts filling pots and pans with water so we can extinguish what little flames remain.

Since the fire is mostly out (lawn mower is still burning), I dash off to the basement to check and see if there is any fire down there. As I'm entering the house, I see out of the corner of my eye, the Fire Chief arrive. I get to the basement and yank a few ceiling tiles out of the way and start looking. Terrible smell (I hate the smell of plastic burning), but everything seems ok.

Go back upstairs to check on the wife and kids and everyone is cold but fine. I get them their coats.

Yay! The fire dept showed up! I bring them downstairs so they can use their expensive infrared camera to check and make sure there is no fire in the basement. Another group is out back using their camera to check for any smoldering hotspots and cool them down with the water can.

After all the excitement settles, it's the Chief, his assistant, and me sitting in the back yard waiting for the Inspector to show up so he can make his assessment and put together a report. I'm staring at my hands which are starting to hurt a little (I don't do yard work, so why I would pick up a rake that is on fire is beyond me), Chief turns to me and asks if I'm ok.

It's at this point that I realize I ran "into" a fire and started yanking tanks filled with gas out of the flames. Stupid! Stupid! Stupid!

Thankfully everyone is ok, and we escaped with relatively minor damage to the house. Only casualties were my sneakers. Apparently when you step on melting plastic, it tends to stick to the botton of whatever steps on it. Chief gave me an application, and said I should join.

Marcelo -

Wow, That is quite the night. I am just glad to hear everyone is safe and sound. You did the right thing, as we all would and probably stopped the house from being destroyed in the process. Burns will heal. Glad to know the family and kids are safe. That is the most important part. BTW... What started the fire?

momof6kids

NJRC Member
Marcelo
Glad to hear that everyone is safe and well. Things can always be replaced. It might have been stupid pulling tanks of propane out of the fire, but it probably saved your house. Your family should be proud of you. Yeah!! Daddy!!

Edwardw771

NJRC Member
We had a fire at my inlaws house about 6 month ago. It sounded about the same as what happened to you.  It was a very hard thing to go thru.  As my mother in law was dieing of cancer in the house at the time.

One peice of advice\experience I learned from it.  Get your own contractor to fix the damage. Don't go with the insurence comapanies contractors.  We had nothing but problems with them and ended up throwing them off the job.

The good news is the house has been repaired better then ever.  And everyone is ok.  

C

concept3

Wow Marcelo-

I thought I was reading a book! Good thing everyone was OK. To yank the propane cylinder without thinking twice, now that's props. I would've stared at it and said RUN!

Keep us posted, wondering too what caused it.

Good Job!
You were able to avert a tragedy, think about joining your local, they can allways use good people.
Greg
20+ year member Spring Lake Volunteer fire dept #1

wow marcelo, sorry about that, it happend to me last year but in my garage, i hope every one is ok, and yes when we in panic we do stupid things, i start spraying water on my fire, btw my fire was electrical  :p, glad everything is ok

Gabriel

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Oh my! I can't believe how brave(?) you were to have pulled those explosives out of the fire. Good luck getting it all resolved. Glad to hear that everyone is alright and that the fire was stopped before it could take the house with it.

And do tell? What, outside in the cold of night, caused a fire to errupt?!

Best guess on the cause of the fire is my wife. Apparently she had used the grill to cook the hot dogs for the kids. With all the wind the past week, the drip pan must have blown off. I guess she didn't check to make sure that there was nothing still burning when she turned off the gas. In any event, something must have dropped from the grill and ignited some leaves that had settled around it.

IMG_3184.JPG

IMG_3187.JPG

IMG_3198.JPG

Little one woke up this morning and said, "Mommy, I did what I was supposed to. I stopped, rocked-n-rolled." Oldest one wanted to know when we were getting a new grill. The boy must have done a few more lines, because he was busy chasing the dog up and down the stairs.

Marcelo -

Brian

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
It's great that you can keep such a light attitude about it all! I'm glad everyone is ok!

Looking at that melted siding makes me shudder... Scary!

HOLY COW :eek: !!! sorry to hear.... Thank God no one was hurt. Especially with the propane....

We had our grill catch fire a couple of summers ago same thing only the wife forgot to empty the drip pan. I was sitting at the table and usually see white smoke come from the grill but then noticed thick black smoke rain outside saw the entire grill erupted in flames grabbed a fire extinguisher from the garage and put it out, ever since then we no longer keep the grill close to the house and keep a fire extinguisher close by.

that reminds me of a few months ago... while looking outside from my living room I noticed smoke passing in front on my house, when I got outside I saw my neighbors van burning in her driveway under a tree.... went running for the hose and it was too short finally found one that was long enough and put out the van before the tree started to burn.... its funny how adrenaline makes you function. My wifey was screeming at me to get away from the van she was worrried it would explode....

Anyway happy that you and your family are safe

mynd said:
I find it interesting that the WOMAN are the ones that are suppose to empty the drip pans. ;) lol

Now, now. As I pull out my old college text book from Grilling 101, it specifically states on page 302 under "Preparation", "The person that intends to light the grill must ensure that the drip pan/cup has been properly emptied by inspection."

Marcelo -

Drip pan? DRIP pan! We don't need no stinkin' drip pan! Us southern boys jus' put a half filled bucket o' sand under the hole where the drip pan is suppos' to be. Then when yer bucket gets real greasy, take it out in the yard and light er up! Instant bonfire for the rugrats! Bust out the marshmellows!!

Those are some scary pics.

Moral of the story......Charcoal.....no drip pan to clean, and your burgers taste great.