• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Out of Power and COULD BE FOR 7 DAYS - ANYONE HAVE A GENERATOR I CAN RENT TEMPORARILY TO SAVE TANK?

Good Morning Everyone,

After our little run in with the tropical storm, a fire burned down a power line and I am not expected to have any power until Aug 10 according to PSEG.

Currently all I have running is an air stone but I am genuinely concerned for the longer term of 3+ days without any other movement or filtration.

Would anyone have a generator of any size I could rent off of them for a few days? I can't afford a new one and stock is out locally.

Otherwise, I may have to have a flash sale and move all of my livestock ASAP before its too late!

Thank you

Good luck :confused:.

I'm trying to secure a generator too. Fortunate enough to have power right now. But it was cutting in and out quite a bit yesterday. I may not be able to take a lot in, but small stuff I may be able to provide temporary housing until you're back up and running.

Bridgewater NJ is my location. @mnat

@Wilson, I appreciate that. I may take you up on the offer for the fish at least if it comes to it.

Might also just try to sell off if I can't get a generator in the next day.

I have a couple of chambers available, maybe 1' cubes each so anything that can fit in there comfortably, let me know. Anything that goes into the display tank will basically never come out lol, the rock work is a pain, so I wouldn't recommend that.

I have a couple of chambers available, maybe 1' cubes each so anything that can fit in there comfortably, let me know. Anything that goes into the display tank will basically never come out lol, the rock work is a pain, so I wouldn't recommend that.

I really appreciate that.

All I have livestock to move would be,

2 Black Clown, a yellow tang, a flamehawk, bengai and 3 chromis (obviously the least of important of the species)

I'll measure the rock but maybe also 1-2 of my zoa garden rocks would save me some $$ and headache.

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
You can buy a inverter at Home Depot / Walmart
For $40 it will run your return pump.

I can hold your fish. I have a empty quarantine tank. If you leave the lights I can take some corals as well

I am in Edison NJ

Good Morning Everyone,

After our little run in with the tropical storm, a fire burned down a power line and I am not expected to have any power until Aug 10 according to PSEG.

Currently all I have running is an air stone but I am genuinely concerned for the longer term of 3+ days without any other movement or filtration.

Would anyone have a generator of any size I could rent off of them for a few days? I can't afford a new one and stock is out locally.

Otherwise, I may have to have a flash sale and move all of my livestock ASAP before its too late!

Thank you
Was trying to secure a generator also, might be able to get one in another state if you drive an hour or two.

You can buy a inverter at Home Depot / Walmart
For $40 it will run your return pump.

I can hold your fish. I have a empty quarantine tank. If you leave the lights I can take some corals as well

I am in Edison NJ
Thanks for this tip Amado, I was able to run the return pumps using my truck. It has a 110 plug, it probably saved the life in it.

DEL

Vice President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
what size is your tank? I'd say get a small 30g/40g and run air pumps. they will be fine for a few days if its just fish. as far as corals that I'm not sure. temp wise I hope your house is warm.

I've been running an air rock since last night so that's helped the oxygenation and movement of the top. I'm going to run with the inverter idea, thinking if I run it for even 2-3 hours 2x a day that's alot better then nothing. Will keep everyone posted, thank you for the help and concern.

Lost power for about 8 hours before I had the generator up and running. Temp dropped 3 degrees in that time, and no circulation had me concerned. Shortly after I turned everything on, I saw all the coral open with typical polyp extension. I expect to be on generator power for several days. Good luck folks.

@mikem I really appreciate it. I'm feeling better running the return and the wavemaker for a while. Got an update from PSEG they are shooting for early Friday morning now. If anyone else needs it more, please.

Good Morning Everyone,

Thank you
Brother hit me up I might be able to help u out
609-290-5252

I've been running an air rock since last night so that's helped the oxygenation and movement of the top. I'm going to run with the inverter idea, thinking if I run it for even 2-3 hours 2x a day that's alot better then nothing. Will keep everyone posted, thank you for the help and concern.
What I did is get a 500 W DC converter box and it ran everything for my aquarium except the chiller the chiller was just a little too much but my lights my return pump and my powerhead all worked perfectly and I have it on my truck for over 24 hours Just have to go outside and run the truck for ten minutes every 2-3 hrs I then ran my truck from 1am till 7am thru the night (make sure you have enough gas)

Attachments

• 25928AB3-B0BB-429A-B72A-4078F6FD670C.jpeg
    25928AB3-B0BB-429A-B72A-4078F6FD670C.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 8
  • C67DF4C2-98EE-4A38-842C-BF294E7BE7CF.jpeg
    C67DF4C2-98EE-4A38-842C-BF294E7BE7CF.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 8
  • AACAC6DD-8B3B-4179-8AD4-E2CB282548B5.jpeg
    AACAC6DD-8B3B-4179-8AD4-E2CB282548B5.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 6
What I did is get a 500 W DC converter box and it ran everything for my aquarium except the chiller the chiller was just a little too much but my lights my return pump and my powerhead all worked perfectly and I have it on my truck for over 24 hours Just have to go outside and run the truck for ten minutes every 2-3 hrs I then ran my truck from 1am till 7am thru the night (make sure you have enough gas)
My power has come back on so you are more than welcome to use this converter box if you need I have no problem letting you borrow it

Lost power for about 8 hours before I had the generator up and running. Temp dropped 3 degrees in that time, and no circulation had me concerned. Shortly after I turned everything on, I saw all the coral open with typical polyp extension. I expect to be on generator power for several days. Good luck folks.
Might wanna consider keeping temp at that 3 degree loss,, my tank is rocking and looking great at 73 degrees steady ( plus less algae in cooler temperature)