• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Outdoor tank

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
I saw a video where a guy in Cali had his tank outside; yes I know Cali has better weather than we do. Seeing this video got me to thinking. I wonder if anyone has tried running a tank, mainly a reef tank, outside? Also only using the sun and moon for the light for the tank?

What do you guys think of something like that?

kschweer

Administrator
Staff member
Officer Emeritus
There's a guy on Facebook that has done this with great success. Also if I'm remembering correctly someone in the club did a tank in a sunroom lit primarily by sun but I may be wrong. While down in the keys 2 years ago there was a bait store with a saltwater pond. It was awesome! It had a large section with big fish such as snapper, grouper, tarpon large wrasse and parrot fish and a shallower section where smaller wrasse and tangs would hang out with some local coral. Water was pumped in from the lagoon out back and flow back into the lagoon at the other end. It was one of the cooler things I have seen.

Russell Bennett

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I saw a video where a guy in Cali had his tank outside; yes I know Cali has better weather than we do. Seeing this video got me to thinking. I wonder if anyone has tried running a tank, mainly a reef tank, outside? Also only using the sun and moon for the light for the tank?

What do you guys think of something like that?
I thought I saw on a forum in colder climate the guy had a sun light over tank. I guess if that gets snow you got problems

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

magic

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
There was a member years ago 'ReneRN' who had a couple of tanks in a small glass greenhouse. The corals had nice growth but her husband wasn't thrilled with the heating/cooling bill of $600 avg. every month!

Bob