• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Overflow box VS using bulkhead drain covers

So I'm setting up a frag tank at the moment to keep be busy during all of this and I was trying to save some money by not using an overflow box and just drilling the drain into the back of the tank and using a bulkhead strainer. Does anyone see any issues with this or has anyone done this before? I'll buy an overflow if I have too but I'd rather spend that money on other aspects of the tank. Thanks!

Hockeynut

NJRC Member
So I'm setting up a frag tank at the moment to keep be busy during all of this and I was trying to save some money by not using an overflow box and just drilling the drain into the back of the tank and using a bulkhead strainer. Does anyone see any issues with this or has anyone done this before? I'll buy an overflow if I have too but I'd rather spend that money on other aspects of the tank. Thanks!
Very noisy

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
Yeah it’s not a good idea. Your drain can easily get clogged with a snail or a sheet of nori. It’s very loud and you really can’t control the flow.

I tried it and I switch to a overflow right away.

i will be removing 2 overflow boxes from my 180 very soon ,if I dont mangle them maybe one can work for you , just cut it down to the height you need . Would be more than happy to help a fellow reefer out.
That would be awesome man, only if you don't need it though ! I appreciate that big time!

That would be awesome man, only if you don't need it though ! I appreciate that big time!

No worries, I will not be using them . I will be removing them to turn tank into a penisula tank with an external overflow. So rather than it taking up space your more than welcome to it.

No worries, I will not be using them . I will be removing them to turn tank into a penisula tank with an external overflow. So rather than it taking up space your more than welcome to it.
Awesome, just let me know whenever they come off! Thank you !

Ok overflow has been removed . You should be able to get a usable 21 1/2 " height out of it if needed . I dremel cut it out so it lost a little from the bottom.20200412_174314.jpg20200412_174236.jpg20200412_174336.jpg20200412_174328.jpg

I wouldn't mind the noise , this setup would be going into my basement so i really wouldnt hear it to much
Very happy you got the overflow. :) You say that you Wouldn’t be bothered by the noise from the sucking using a bulkhead drain But it can be really loud. However I have a situation we’re I was forced to use a bulk head on a tank. But found and installed a silencer. And it works Really well. So there are options when it comes to noise. Just ask away on this or any forum. Some one is always bound to have a problem similar