• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Overflow Problem

I'm having a problem with my internal overflow. The problem is the water level in the display tank is too high. It just about touches the center brace. These photos show what my "Durso" looks like. The cap at the top of the Durso has a JG valve in it that;s open all the way. I use this valve to set the water level in the tank. It all worked fine until a few days ago. Now even with the valve fully open and a few holes drilled in the cap, the level in the tanks is higher than it used to be. Even if I take the cap off of the Durso, I would expect the water level in the display to lower but it dosen't. The sump is in my garage and water is still flowing into it. Also, if I shut the return pump off, wait a minute and then restart, the water level in the display climbs almost to the point of spilling over before it settles down. It almost sounds like my drain line might be clogged. Short of taking the drain line off, wouldn't even know how to check if it's clogged. Maybe there's a air pocket somewhere in the drain. My return line is 1" and my drain line is 1-1/4". The Durso is 1-1/2" and reduces to 1-1/4" right at the bulkhead in the tank wall. Maybe Durso is designed wrong. Can someone give me some help with this? Your welcome to come by an take a look. I'm in Middlesex.

Thanks,
Mike

Attachments

• Back View.JPG
    57.8 KB · Views: 55
  • Side View.JPG
    64.3 KB · Views: 190

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Mike, I think a snail got in it. I'd try to snake it out using a smaller diameter PE tubing (a little stiff). Try to get through the length of it from one side. It probably won't be easy, but hopefully you'll push the snail through.

NEWSALT said:
The cap at the top of the Durso has a JG valve in it that;s open all the way. I use this valve to set the water level in the tank. It all worked fine until a few days ago. Now even with the valve fully open and a few holes drilled in the cap, the level in the tanks is higher than it used to be. Thanks,
Mike

Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't the point of the valves/holes on a Durso pipe to add a (controlled) amount of air into the pipe. More air - less water throughthe pipe.

As for Phyllis' suggestion, you can use the tube for freezer water line. It is relatively rigid and can be quite long

IME the holes on a Durso is to controll the fluctuation of the water in the overflow so it does not go up or down, the bad things about having valves on a durso is that sometimes they get clogged up inside & it does not let enough air in to equalize the water in the overflow there for restricting the water.
Mike i remember that when we tested ur tank the water would allmost go to the top
before it would equalize & start to go down with out the durso.
open up the T on ur sump & let some pressure out, u will have to fine tune ur valve on ur durso.
better safe then sorry.