• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Paint for background?

I want to paint the back of my tank black what kind of paint are you guys using and is there anything that needs to be done special then like painting a wall?

krylon fusion! the best! just like painting any other glass,plastic, metal....make sure its clean and free of oils... and paint away!!!

Not to be a party pooper, but you might want to reconsider painting the back if you plan to grow corals.
Jim Fatheree from TFH did a study a while back, it was in the magazine and presented at MACNA, and the UNPAINTED back of a tank reflects quite a bit of light back into the tank, due to the mirror (refracticve index) effect you see when you look at the back from the end panel.

Of course, you need to be able to keep the back clean to get this benefit.

I think if there was a painted or otherwise black background and it was just not touching the back of the tank, the effect will be preserved.

I use krylon acrylic enamel its not spray its brush on. I use a sponge brush it goes on quite smooth and is very reflective.

I use just gloss black spray paint from walmart, a couple of coats and it seems to be just fine and quite a hard finish.

jsantoli said:
How would automotive tint with a mirrored finish work then?

i have heard that fish, especially territorial or aggressive ones, don't like seeing "other fish" in reflective surfaces. drives them nuts.