• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Paint PVC?

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
Guys. I just picked up some PVC for a project. Now its not a big deal but I was wondering if I could paint them to make them look nicer? If so what type of paint do I need? Please note that some of the PVC will be sitting in my sump so it needs to be fish/reef safe if I do paint it.

Thanks everyone

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I painted the PVC that is exposed in my tank.....most above water....and it still looks great...other than some salt creep. I painted it in 2008 with the 98 cent spray paint from HD. That portion in the water is covered with algae or scutz. Here is a corner of it, and note the pipe and elbow are attached to vinyl J-channel that was also painted with that same paint. That J-channel does get slightly wet. I'd just make sure you sand it to give the paint some teeth to grab hold of. This picture was just taken ten minutes ago.