• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Painting back of tank

I'm looking for suggestions on painting the back of my tank. Anyone that's done this, can you tell me what type of paint you used and the surface preparation.

Thanks

reefsandrotts

NJRC Member
Rustoleum or krylon
prep using rubbing alchahol not glass cleaner it leaves a film and paint will peel.

But be advised no matter what paint you use in time it will peel off the glass due to salt creep.

Brian

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I agree, although I wasn't able to use spray paint... I didn't feel like covering my whole basement in drop cloths. I used the Rustoleum the you roll on. It takes a little longer, but it looks nice when it's done.

and, be sure to tape something across the top and sides so you don't get overspray anywhere you don't want it! Sounds obvious, but I originally forgot to cover the ENTIRE top and had to scrape off the inside of my tank a bit.

i have the back of my 210 painted with krilon navy enamel, i used a can & then i used cheap black enamel on top & presto looked great, it's been on there for over 4 years & has never peel but then again i dont get much salt creep back there & all i see now is coralline.

DSC02276.jpg