• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Palytoxin Poisoning First Aid

Do you think Pet Stores should warn customers purchasing coral about palytoxin

• Yea it should be common practice

Votes: 7 100.0%
  • Nope we will just scare people away

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Hey guys Doc here, I am not sure if this kinda thing has been done before or if i am the first to try it but I wanted to contribute something as kinda like a bring something to the table that can be helpful to the community and a little off the norm. So alittle personal background I major in Emergency Medicine, I started as an EMT back when i was 16 and became a Combat medic in the military right after high school right fter i returned home and back to my civilian life i continued my career path and became a paramedic and then finally went a completely different direction when i found out sadly theres no money in EMS in NJ but thats off topic. Any ways when it comes to first aid and emergency medical care i just cant get enough and a passion of mine is teaching first aid and emergency Medicine to others... So i know you guys are thinking what the heck does this have to do with Reefing doc?! well during my research getting into reefing i came across numerous articals and youtube videos about the Dangers of Palytoxin Poisoning and how Palytoxin is commonly found in Reefers houses especially those that keep the coral zoanthid so to me this was an awesome learning and teaching experience.

What is Palytoxin? Palytoxin is a toxin commonly found in marine life such as invertebrates (coral, anemones, jellyfish, and crabs) and certain types of fish. It is one of the most extremely potent toxins known to man and is known to produce sever reactions in most cases in which a subject has been exposed to it and in the most severe cases it can be fatal. Palytoxin is found in the bodily fluids of the creatures that host it and can be expelled when the creature is distressed, injured, or eaten. It poses a higher threat to us Reefers who frag our corals because it is constantly released throughout the process.

In order to be exposed to Palytoxin the toxin needs to enter the body threw one of the following routes

• The blood stream via a cut, open wound , or injection
  • The mucus membrane (oral, nasal, eyes0
  • Ingested via mouth
  • Inhaled as a fluid or a vapor (*scene in cases were people boiled there rocks) The exposure site should be monitored for any signs of swelling abnormal color or pain. If symptoms persist medical attention should be sought
  • For exposures to the skin, cuts, wounds, the patient should immediately flush the site with cold water for several minutes and then wash with warm soapy water to clean any residue left on the skins surface.
  • **special note: though uncommon skin exposure to the fluid may cause irritation but is not a direct means of exposure to the toxin
Palytoxin effects the human body by causing muscle and skin tissue break down and causing the blood cells to swell and rupture leaking their fluids into the surrounding tissue and plasma (the fluid in your blood), a process also known as rhabdomyolysis.

Patients with known exposure to Palytoxin Poisoning report symptoms such as a bitter taste in the mouth, abdominal pain, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, difficulty breathing, blurred vision, sweating, and fever. Patients sometimes relate these symptoms to flu like or a bad cold. In the most severe case Palytoxin affects the heart muscles and respiratory system causing swelling of the airway and fluid buildup in the lungs as well as a slow or irregular heartbeat.

***disclaimer the above are common symptoms reported, symptoms vary in a case by case basis lack of a symptom or a symptom present not listed above should not be taken as an excuse to not seek treatment. Palytoxin Poisoning can be a serious life threatening emergency, those who suspect it should seek treatment immediately***

The following is some basic first aid for people exposed to Palytoxin poisoning. It should be noted that first aid is not an exception for seeking professional medical attention.

For exposure to the eyes, the patient should immediately flush his or her eyes for several minutes under cold water blinking excessively to help remove any residue of palytoxin. This should be repeated as necessary until symptoms diminish.

The patient should continue to monitor his eyes and any loss of vision or pain or discharge should be immediately treated by a medical provider.

***It has been reported by subject effected by Palytoxin in the manner that it is extremely painful and cause irritation to the eyes for several days.

Inhalation of vapors ingestion or injections should be treated as sever and emergency medical care should be sought immediately. Patients exposed in this manor should be monitored for signs of respiratory distress if available oxygen should be provide during transport to the hospital, and care should be given to the patients comfort.
There is NO KNOWN ANTIGEN to palytoxin, treatments or only symptomatic and therapeutic until the toxin has been removed by the body’s own mechanisms.

***even the most minor exposure can become severe this is why its important to take care an monitor yourself or others exposed to Palytoxin. When in dout its better to be safe then sorry Call 911 or Poison Control***

So now that I scared you all (sorry for that) let me tell you that its extremely easy to protect yourself and as long as you take precautions and be aware of its presence Palytoxin is not something to be feared.

Wear Gloves when working with corals known to contain Palytoxin and be mindful working in tanks doing cleaning that are known to contain corals with palytoxin.

Use eye protection when cutting or fragging corals

Wear a face mask to prevent inhalitation when using tools such as dremals or rotary saws that create spray or mist of small particles

Wash your hands, tools and work site immediately after you complete your task

BE AWARE and educate yourself, and others, especially new comers to our hobby.

I hope this was helpful and some one out there enjoyed it or learned something if you guys like this kinda things let me know i have some other ideas for injury's from urchins jelly fish or poisonous fish

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
Personally I do not keep or have ever like zoas/paly's for that reason. I just never wanted to expirence that.

I have been stung several time by a long spiny urchin as I have always kept one for years. For me it was like a bee sting....never kept anything like a lion or rabbit fish....or a fox.face

i got stung a bunch by my condy anemone when i was trying to free him from the filter head he got sucked into it wasn't to bad like a mild bee sting. i remember in marine bio doing an experiment were we saw how they sting under a micro scope its really cool to see the hundreds of tiny barb like strands shoot out

Personally I do not keep or have ever like zoas/paly's for that reason. I just never wanted to expirence that.

I have been stung several time by a long spiny urchin as I have always kept one for years. For me it was like a bee sting....never kept anything like a lion or rabbit fish....or a fox.face
zoas are beautiful and from what i am told easy to care for its just something we should be aware of, but if kept and mind and treated with caution perfectly safe to keep

Lostinthedark

NJRC Member
This is a subject that comes up every so often on a thread some where. Unfortunately its usually for a bad reason. We sometimes forget the dangers of the different bacteria and poisons we are raising in our tanks.
Thanks for the reminder and a good checklist if we have an issue.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Nice write up on palytoxins....and reminder for those who have zoas and plays.

The one time I got hit was when I was trying to net a fish, and my hand was zooming around the tank. I didn't pay close attention, but the back of my hand was hitting into palys. A couple hours later I had welts on the back of my hands, and I wasn't feeling well. Spent the next day in bed. And the next day I was just fine. Took about a week for the welts to go away.

One other thing that happened was a member (can't remember who), was fragging zoas and they squirted toxin as he was cutting. So if your fragging zoas and palys, wear eye protection.

Any time I'm in my tank to work near or with zoas/palys, I wear gloves.

Hmm our paths may have crossed at one point I worked for Robert wood for about 6 years up until 2013 only did paramedic work threw the navy on picatiny arsenal upnorth