• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

PAR Meter

I’ll tell you what one thing everybody should have in their arsenal is a Par meter.

i’m currently running two Amazon ultraslim cheap $90 lights on my 40 gallon breeder. Just had it set to mix reef setting.

well today my Apogee MQ510 came and thank god. The output of these cheap Amazon light is insane. Little did I know I was cooking every coral in my tank. After about 6 hours of completely changing my parameters everything looks 100 times better already!!! Definitely worth the money

Agreed. Probably one of the most important parameters to test is par
Yeah, I never thought I would need one and I expected the Amazon lights to not have a output like they do but it’s unbelievable how quick the corals let you know how much better the lighting is

Yeah, I never thought I would need one and I expected the Amazon lights to not have a output like they do but it’s unbelievable how quick the corals let you know how much better the lighting is
It's funny the unsuspecting lights usually pack more of a punch than the expensive designer lights

What were your readings?
My blues and ultraviolet‘s were set to 85% and my white was set to 15% and I had the lights completely maxed out in the mount with height with is about 18 inches and the first reading I took was 850-900 at the very top of the tank about an inch under the water, and my sandbed was reading 500-550

My blues and ultraviolet‘s were set to 85% and my white was set to 15% and I had the lights completely maxed out in the mount with height with is about 18 inches and the first reading I took was 850-900 at the very top of the tank about an inch under the water, and my sandbed was reading 500-550
Now I've gotta know what lights they are

Still need to lower the output running higher than I wish

Attachments

• 268E3F10-C2B7-479A-86EB-18C6C75EFABF.png
    268E3F10-C2B7-479A-86EB-18C6C75EFABF.png
    9.6 MB · Views: 8
  • 78C32A8A-C236-4493-8706-A1F7BC62BFB0.jpeg
    78C32A8A-C236-4493-8706-A1F7BC62BFB0.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 8
  • 4C10C459-B097-43D9-A52E-77F27DC87BB8.jpeg
    4C10C459-B097-43D9-A52E-77F27DC87BB8.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 8
For test purposes just to see how crazy it would be I turned everything up to 100 and I was reading 1700 an inch under the water lol it’s wild I use to spend thousands on MH AND T5 and now $200 gets you high quality LEDs, with amazing ramp up, ramp down, very sensitive, adjustability with master and slave control options

They are 130 watt lights, considering that and comparing to say a hydra 32 which is a 90watt LED and would probably cover a single 40b well. 2 of those is going to be super overkill mainly in the overlap areas so make sure you get every section covered in the par and adjust accordingly.

They are 130 watt lights, considering that and comparing to say a hydra 32 which is a 90watt LED and would probably cover a single 40b well. 2 of those is going to be super overkill mainly in the overlap areas so make sure you get every section covered in the par and adjust accordingly.
Yeah mine are advertised as 100 watts a piece at full capacity I have my fluke world multimeter from work hooked up to the lights. They’re drawing currently 62 W each with new settings and cost $90 with a mount I think the hydra 32 goes for $430 with no mount. I started off with one and I did not like the shadows on the side of the tank so I picked up another one spaced out nice and the tank came out really well.