• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

pep. shrimp attacking corals

I woke up this morning and checked out my tank. I see a peppermint shrimp picking at the center of my prized donut (cat's eye) coral. I'm really "t'd" off. What is going on here? Should I be giving more food to the tank? Right now I have a average bioload:
2 clowns
1 green chromis
1 hippo tang
1 marine betta
1 mandarin

lots of snails and little starfish and corals.

a 75 with another 20 gallons in the sump

I feed every other day. 1 cube of mysis, 1 cube of brine and I put in cyclopeze about every third - fourth day. Usually all the food is almost totally eaten (maybe 5-10 pieces uneaten) within 10 minutes. I figured this was good, but after seeing the shrimp I'm not so sure.

Well you could try feeding more but that may not stop the shrimp. We have this one cleaner shrimp that kills clams. We have watched him do it to a few large clams over the years. Sometimes they just get the taste for it and there isn’t much you can do. Hopefully this is not the case and feeding a little more will stop the behavior.
I would just target feed the shrimp a prawn or other meaty food using tongs rather then feeding the whole tank heavier.
HIH
S

Thanks Sharks. I'll target feed the hole he lives in since he's afraid of EVERYTHING.

I'll let you know how it goes. Worse comes to worst I'll have another fried shimp for dinner one night!

I had a pepermint that would steal the food right out of the mouth of my anemone. I target fed him the prawn and that stoped that behavior. Hopefully it will work for you to.

bob