• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Peppermint Shrimp Spawn

I WISH i could get a picture but after playing some COD a little late i decided to see if the clowns had found the sabae.. Much to my surprise and unknowing the peppermints must have laid eggs, they hatched tonight.. I shined the flashlight into the tank and saw hundreds of Tiny clear shrimps.. all i can make out is 3 tiny white dots on the tails.. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D !!! if only i had a way to raise 200 shrimp. :eek: 8)

I will add that we have had nighttime excursions to see tank life after hours and this is a first! They are Definitely shrimpies!

I HAD to tag this here found on Marcs' (melev) page... exactly what i am seeing in the tank.. Darn you Point and shoot!
http://www.melevsreef.com/get_those_shots.html

I want to C&P this here as well..

http://www.centralpets.com/animals/fish/saltwater_inverts/swi1841.html
Breeding and Propagation: Relative Breeding Ease: Difficult

Peppermint Shrimp are hermaphroditic and may spawn when kept in groups. Any pair of two shrimp may produce fertile eggs. Usually, mating occurs after one shrimp molts. The newly molted shrimp will receive sperm from its mate, which it uses to fertilize any eggs it produces. The eggs are green in color, and are densely packed below the parent's abdomen. Once they are visible, many people prefer to move the Peppermint Shrimp to a spawning tank. The parent aerates the eggs by waving its pleopods to move water over them. As the eggs mature, they become paler in color and expand until they are no longer packed in rows, but in one aggregate group. After 14 to 20 days, the Peppermint Shrimp eggs begin to turn silver. This usually occurs the day that they will hatch. Also, the parent usually will not eat the day that the eggs will hatch.
The adult will position itself in a gentle water current to aid the eggs in hatching. Hatching normally occurs one half to three hours after darkness falls, and the newly hatched Peppermint Shrimp swim directly toward any light source. Some clutches require two nights to hatch entirely. Directly after hatching its eggs, adult Peppermint Shrimp normally molt. The spawn normally require about 40 days to develop into adults. The tank where the newly hatched Peppermint Shrimp are kept should not be filtered, because it may damage the shrimp. An aerating device on a low setting is often used. Newly hatched brine shrimp are used to feed the Peppermint Shrimp, and there should be quite a few present, since newly hatched Peppermint Shrimp are unable to hunt well. However, there should not be enough brine shrimp present so as to pollute the unfiltered tank water. Every other day, you may use a small suction tube to clean the bottom of the tank. However, care should be taken not to suck up any Peppermint Shrimp.

This is cool. Did you see the eggs before they hatched? I have a pair of cleaner shrimp and every once in a while one of them hides in the protein skimmer section for a day or two and I wondered if it was spawning.

I agree, that is awesome and it gives you a clear sign your tank is doing well. On the other hand, do you want to get rid of some shrimp?

You need to have them in isolated tanks with sponge filter (think first few days you can't even have that) to raise them. Peps are pretty easy and cleaners are a bit harder but it has been done. Otherwise what reeflections said is correct, basically free meal for your fish.

i did not notice that there were eggs since the peps always are hiding anyways.. but the tank turned a milky white that day and then by chance i checked the tank and there they were.. I wish i could raise them at the moment but dont have the time.. and yes they are suppose to be easier the clowns to raise due to the food requirements but a challenge none the less

is there any special food you have to feed the baby shrimp

I have them growing in my tank ,

I think they are peppermints

They are still really small and it's been a month

I'm guessing there eating the coral food...

How long does it take for them to grow up ?

about 40 days from Hatch they will be Juvenile/adults Baby brine shrimp works for them as does cyclopeeze.. My brother has Camel Shrimp babies in his tank .. Two camel shrimp and a lobster is all that inhabit that tank thanks to the lobster

Did you check out the link to Melev's reef Jenn? http://www.melevsreef.com/get_those_shots.html it could help you identify them. Though come to think of it the camel shrimp i saw had nearly the same look to them. hmm.. do a search for raising peppermint shrimp on google. should bring up some threads but it is alot of reading to get the good information since so little people actually go through with raising them.

If your tanks are older you might have live mysis in ur tank.

Check um out i see them all the time running around rock and glass and frags. im not sure if peppermint shrimp larve when hatched or any larve is clearly identifiable. I thought my pepps did that then looked at some other people tanks like Malulu and there def mysis.

Jenn said:
is there any special food you have to feed the baby shrimp

I have them growing in my tank ,

I think they are peppermints

They are still really small and it's been a month

I'm guessing there eating the coral food...

How long does it take for them to grow up ?

sure those arnt pods?

i have pods , little buggies

these look exactly like little shrimps

I looked at melevsreef.com/get_those_shots.html to see photo

2 big eyes body legs tail , little shrimps

I have pepermints and cleaners in my tank

so don't know who the parents are

I did see the cleaners carring lots of eggs

I also witness pepermints one night chasing each other around the tank

I have to get a close up picture of one of the babies

I discovered them when one day i was rearranging some corals and moved one into a bucket temporarly

then when i put the coral back in main tank seen the little guys swimming around in bucket

I thought they were fish at first , but close up they have legs and are shrimps

I even had a few get sucked into my poly filter and were swimming in there a few days and I felt so bad I had to disasemble it and remove them back into refugium and then put poly filter back together again
PITA

but little shrimps thanked me

my manderian is proubley having a feast on the babies

I hope some of them get to grow up

Im hoping they are cleaners

you'd know when you saw them if they were pods. they look like a litle white dot with a shrimp tail.. good luck and probably cleaner shrimp if you saw eggs.. usually they will hide from you the day of the hatch then after dark it will swim into the currant and release the eggs.

Good luck either way.

Mine have the same small dot towards the head area and a tail.
When i was trying to ween my WC clown pair off of live food i would mix frozen and live mysis together.

Now when i look under my monti cap i see hundreds running around.

Good luck keep us updated. Id like a few CB cleaners or pepps.

I have the book "How to Raise and Train Your Peppermint Shrimp."

I haven't tried (yet) to raise the shrimp...but the basic steps are:
1. Feed rotifers
2. Feed newly hatched brine shrimp
3. Feed vitamine enriched brine shrimp

The author suggests that at times you can supplement steps 2 and 3 with finely crushed flake food to help keep the nutrition levels high. The shrimp need a lot of nutrients and energy to go through the larval phase. (Which is why you'll see them for a few days living off their yolk sacs...but you don't see more adult shrimp.)