• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Petco or PetSmart

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I'm down to five fish, haven't purchased any in years and planning a fish run. I'm going to hit the typical LFS's but I want to include either Petco or Petsmart in Ocean or Monmouth or somewhere down south. Some of you have mentioned one of these that has a decent saltwater section and therefore want to include it in my search. Any information would be appreciated.

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
Petco in Brick is where I go, as well as Madreefer, mnat, and a few others. Tanks were kept by a guy Andrew, who was fantastic and recently retired. They were taken over by Ben from Tropiquaria, so the marine tanks are up to par. He recently upgraded coral lights to Hydras and brought in a few good coral vendors. They've also just started upgrading to Red Sea and other higher end supplies. Prices reasonable for this time in the hobby. I've picked up numerous fish and inverts from there over the years and haven't had a single case of death or disease. Nice selection, and I think he got some anem crabs and pom-pom crabs in last week as well.

There's a Petco in Tom's River that I was last in a few months back and their marine section was in a terrible state, give them a pass.
Edit: Also, as Curt mentions below, I've hit about every Petsmart in Ocean and Monmouth, skip them all.

There's also a Petco in Neptune. I may be in Neptune in a few hours. If I am I'll check it out and drop a report. Regardless, doubt it can be any better than Brick.

Last edited:

curt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
I’ve never seen salt water fish in a PetSmart. I was just in the Petco in Brick and they had a nice selection of fish. I’m wondering what’s going on at ACC. I think the Petco had more fish than ACC. I’d go up to AO from were your at.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
@Mark_C , that's the one.....Petco in Brick. Thanks. I've got the QT set up and ready to go. I also have a $275 credit at ACC, which will probably only buy me a couple guppies.

radiata

NJRC Member
@Mark_C , that's the one.....Petco in Brick. Thanks. I've got the QT set up and ready to go. I also have a $275 credit at ACC, which will probably only buy me a couple guppies.

I've got a whole lot of Salt Water mollies you can have. I had Steve at Ely's track down two pairs of these 'original' Mollies for me. Now one of my holding tanks is overrun with them. Doh...

reefsandrotts

NJRC Member
I've got a whole lot of Salt Water mollies you can have. I had Steve at Ely's track down two pairs of these 'original' Mollies for me. Now one of my holding tanks is overrun with them. Doh...
Wow
Elys,I haven't been there in a dogs age... It's like talking a walk in the woods with all the isles there..

Petsmart does not carry saltwater. To be honest when it comes to livestock I prefer LFS or online aquarium stores. I want to support them over big box stores. That being said I will go for dry goods or to take advantage of petcos aquarium sales.

I’ve never seen salt water fish in a PetSmart. I was just in the Petco in Brick and they had a nice selection of fish. I’m wondering what’s going on at ACC. I think the Petco had more fish than ACC. I’d go up to AO from were your at.
What or where is AO? And where is Elys? I shop at petco in brick often and have gotten TONS of awesome stuff from there over thr years Andrew was super good for help/tips and info and always kept and incredible selection. Ben has since taken over and is very good as well and is now trying to get the store to get back on track with the saltwater department being it's bread and butter. When Andrew was still there he told me the brick petco was #4 in profits due to the saltwater fish department being so good there.

curt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
Aquatic Obsessions is in Avenel NJ 07001. Been there for as long as I can remember. Great store and the best staff around.

radiata

NJRC Member
What or where is AO? And where is Elys? I shop at petco in brick often and have gotten TONS of awesome stuff from there over thr years Andrew was super good for help/tips and info and always kept and incredible selection. Ben has since taken over and is very good as well and is now trying to get the store to get back on track with the saltwater department being it's bread and butter. When Andrew was still there he told me the brick petco was #4 in profits due to the saltwater fish department being so good there.
Ely's is in Florham Park. Great store for freshwater and koi. They have some saltwater fish and a very few inverts, but no frags.

I'm close so I go there for my live black worms and live brine shrimp.

Aquatic Obsessions is in Avenel NJ 07001. Been there for as long as I can remember. Great store and the best staff around.
Do you really think they have the best fish selection or you talking bout health?
I have found some nice and healthy fish from him but also In absolutely fish, reefco and sea level

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
I don’t buy fish. I can’t risk my fish with new fish.
But if I would buy any fish it would only come from
Aquatic obsession. Willl really always has heathy selection of. Fish.
He dates his fish and treats everything with copper.

I have some hard fish to keep alive and they all came from AO.
If you are north NJ then I would would go to Absolutely fish.
They have the best fish/corals in NJ.

Going to Petco/pet smart is not a good idea.