• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

PH concerns

ecam

President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
SO I have a basement setup now. I frag tank and 1 DT tank (180). The problem im having is the PH is not going over 7.5. I ran an airline out of the bsmt to under my deck (didnt want to run through the deck and out) to prevent insecticide and stuff like that from nearby gardens. The line comes in from outside into a nextreef reactor w\ carbon and then continues to the skimmers

The line really didnt make a difference the PH is still 7.6. I calibrated the probes again to make sure.. and it seems like everything is okay. Any suggestions on how to get the PH up.

Alk is currently at 7.9.....

art13

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
When my windows are closed mine sits around there, an outside airline usually helps, what does a better job for me but is a little more costly is getting granulated soda lime, making a makeshift filter, i made mine out of an old gfo carton, fill it with the c02 media and running the skimmer line into that. It will pull the co2 out and get more oxygen into the tank.

ecam

President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
Sorry, forgot to mention.... the next reef reactor which recieves the outside air .... has soda lime (got from downbeach awhile ago), sponge and then the carbon...... still no impact. As a matter of fact it turned purple in less than a day

art13

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Not sure then, i use about a pound an a half of it and it lasts me roughly a week. try opening the windows if you are able to, let some outside air in.

art13

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
To add to this, it's the reason i'm looking to upgrade my skimmer. It's perfect as far as bioload i believe, but the more outside air i can pull into it, the more interaction with the water, the higher my ph will go.

ecam

President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
I use seachem fusion for alk and calc

So I just recalibrated all probes and still got 7.82
That's 3 probes giving the same number

But the api test is saying 8.4

What gives

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
A couple points about pH probes:

1. They must ALWAYS remain wet....in some solution.
2. They can never, ever be completely submerged. If saltwater (or any other liquid) gets into the probe, it's done!
c. If the probe becomes sluggish, they can be cleaned by soaking in vinegar overnight, and then rinse with DI water and recalibrate.
4. Two calibration solutions are needed to calibrate a probe....the two solutions need to "bracket" the pH you're interested in measuring. Since we have an interest in a pH around 8, the two calibration solutions you want to use are 7 and 10.....NOT 4 and 7.

Hope this helps.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
You'll only need the 7 and 10. Good laboratory practice tells me I shouldn't stick the probe directly into the solution bottles. Pour a small quantity into a test tube; rinse the probe in RO/DI and then stick your probe into this test tube....calibrate....and then dump that solution down the drain when you're finished calibrating. Do the same procedure with the other calibration solution.

ecam

President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
thanks paul... but those are the solutions I currently have. and Im questioning wheter they are any good. In your opinion. And trust me you ingrained that into me plenty of times. im very careful with these tests. I actually use old salifert tubes for the solution

art13

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
get the single use pinpoint packets, i've used the bottles before and don't trust them as much. At least not after the first use of opening them, as they get a chance to interact with the air at that point.

I've tried it all. Also basement sump. Only thing that pushed it was the seachem kalk in my ATO. You just need to have that ATO solid so u dont OD. Also pump 1 to 2 inches off the bottom.