• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Ph issues

I do run my fuge on a reverse cycle to try and counteract it but I still see my PH drop at night.

During the day plants an many corals remove CO2, which makes the pH go up. They stop this at nigh and most actually give off CO2. So, the pH goes back down. Are you using a calcium reactor by any chance ?

What would be a reasonable drop from say 8.1?

.2 pH or 7.9 - 8.1. 7.8 - 8.1 is getting a little low but many are at that.

Why some days does it drop more then others, CO2 in the room levels? [/b}

Yup, most of the time as you go in and out of the house some CO2 goes out the door with you and the same for furnace or AC kicking on and off and stoves and more people, dogs,.etc in the house. Then, there is that CO2 pressure build up where it gets to a point and leaves the house on its own easier, pressure drops and then climbs again, then drops again. If you have 2 car tires the same size and one has 10 psi and one has 50 psi which one leaks more in time if there is a leak ?

On reefs somewhat the same. All those corals an algae are sucking the life out of the CO2 in water, at night they shut down, give off CO2 and the CO2 goes up and the CO2 can not leave the water fast enough to keep the pH where it was so it drops. Same for O2, all those corals and algae giving off O2 during the day and then at nigh shut down and take up O2, thus O2 crash's so speak like the CO2 and pH.

Thanks, you forget there are algaes in the tank during the day, or at least I did in this case, zooxanthellae algae, coraline, and just plain film algae too. No I dose two part for my tank no calcium reactor.

Thanks again your responses are excellent.

I do have a calcium reactor to keep the alk stable.
I run also a reverse light schedule in my sump and I have a ton of corals there but at night my PH still drops from 7:90 to 7:60

i think your alk should be higher, between 12-15dKH. are you you using crush coral as substrate? i'm not familiar with a calcium reactor but if the chemical reaction is as follows: CaCO3 + H2O + CO2 <——> Ca2+ + 2HCO3-, you would expect your tank to be acidic because you're adding acid in the end. you need to compensate for that with a base, yes?

Phyl said:
You should try one of those CO2 scrubbers!
I considered getting one of those but I am alread pulling air from outside the house for my skimmer so I doubt It will make a difference

If you want to experiment a little, here's a product for your current problem ...

http://www.aquavitro.com/Products/balance.html

They had a booth at MACNA. Keep in mind that despite what it says on the bottle, it will have an effect on your ALK levels (I asked this question over on the reefchemistry forum). So if u use it, start off slowly and watch your alk/calcium levels.

hayabusa2003 said:
If you want to experiment a little, here's a product for your current problem ...

http://www.aquavitro.com/Products/balance.html

They had a booth at MACNA. Keep in mind that despite what it says on the bottle, it will have an effect on your ALK levels (I asked this question over on the reefchemistry forum). So if u use it, start off slowly and watch your alk/calcium levels.

Thanks I am ordering a bottle to give it a try.

On the meantime I went to the depot and bought a 50 cfm bathroom fan and I am bringing air in from the outside right next to the tank. This should put to rest the idea of too much CO2 in the house

Fishtachio

think your alk should be higher, between 12-15dKH.

Having the Alk that high is like an accident looking for a place to happen. That is 2.0 x - 2.5 x NSW and there is not reason for it. All the Alk in the world will not fix a low pH from CO2. You run your Ca++ to high or do soemthing to raise the pH and the tanks will be a snow storm from CaCO3 precip

are you you using crush coral as substrate? i'm not familiar with a calcium reactor but if the chemical reaction is as follows: CaCO3 + H2O + CO2 <——> Ca2+ + 2HCO3-, you would expect your tank to be acidic because you're adding acid in the end. you need to compensate for that with a base, yes?

Yes, that is 100 % correct and is one of the issue with reactors having low pH due to higher CO2. Sup'ing with Kalk or Sodium Hydroxide ( SeaChem Balance) or putting in a second media reactor will often cure this.

Phyl

CO2 scrubbers!

They do work great and will boost up the pH ~ 0.2 0.3 pH based on some recent tests, which is also what is claimed. The issue now is how long with the media last. So far it looks like less than one month. Two guys seem to have lost all their pH gain after 2 wks, media already exhausted ?. If we assume ~$30 / cartridge/ month, that is $360 / year. My biggest issue with the unit by MSU is the rip off price for the CO2 media cartridge. They are cluing in the screw-able base of a refillable cartridge so you have to buy both the cartridge and the media. So, that is about $10 for the cartridge and $15 for the media. In a couple of weeks you will be able to buy all the parts needed to make your own and a refillable cartridge and a media refill will be ~ $10 or $100 / yr vs $360 / yr. And the parts needed to make your own will also be less and you will also be able to make a dual stage unit. This dual unit with all the parts and media will be less than the MSU single stage unit. It will also be using medical grade media and not the cheap stuff. It will have more surface area for CO2 adsorption and will be less dusty. I invented on one of these units about 4- 5 years ago and Habib, the owner of Salifert, was thinking of marketing one, believe it or not "Boomer's CO2 Scrubber" but he gave up on it. I collected all kinds of data on CO2 adsorption media to include Zeolites. Now it is the talk of all boards :'(

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Now we call it Boomer's Missed Opportunity! ;D I can't wait to see the new reactor you're talking about! How much CO2 will it scrub?

Update
I started using Seachem balance. 1/2 a bottle cap raises PH 0.1 for a day.
I am going to continue for at least 1 month and see if it makes a difference at the end