• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

PH raisers

Hey i was wondering what PH raiser should i use my PH has been 7.8-8.0 and though i should get something to bring it up but i don't know what one do you use.
Thanks,
Nick

RichT

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Check your alk first.....if that's low raising it will raise the ph.
If your alk is ok, Kalkwasser will raise ph without raising the alk but watch you Ca.
I almost wiped out my whole tank with PH buffers so be careful. In fact they are not really recommended by the experts (Randy Homes-Farley). I have a couple links at home I'll post so you can read up. The relationships between Ca - Alk - Mg - Ph are very important to understand. Just as, if not more important than the nutrient cycle/relationships. HTH

Check out the chemistry forum on RC and you can read Randy's suggestions. If you need to raise Alk, baking soda baked in the oven will raise ph temporarily. You'll find directions on that forum. It's part of a DIY 2-part balnaced CA/Alk supplementation system.

You can also try adding an airstone or venting in some outside air. Generally CO2 builds up in the house with the windows closed this time of year and the increased CO2 levels lower ph.

First do this...Get a bucket of water from your tank, note the ph. Run an airstone to the bucket with the air pump being OUTSIDE. Airate the bucket water. Check your bucket water ph in about 30 min. If the pH increased a bunch, dont add any chemicals, it is a co2 problem. I have my airpump always going...outside ...pumping air back inside to my skimmer.

OK i'm testing this right now so because my air pumps are inside the co2 isn't as high BTW how do you have it set up out side i'm guessing the air temp doesn't mess with the tank that much does it?
anyways i guess if it turns out to be the co2 and if it is i guess I'll see if i can figure out some way to hook the pump up in the garage

Alright just finshed testing them i was getting 7.8-8.0 and with it out side it turned into 8.2-8.4 so i think maybe i'll start running my pump in the window (right beside the tank)
Thanks guys
(i wanted my Ph close to 8.4 and if i do this it will :D)

saltwater4life said:
BTW how do you have it set up out side i'm guessing the air temp doesn't mess with the tank that much does it?
i have two air pumps outside next to the pool filter, and within my chiller roof, which is outside as well (i have a 2 hp chiller as big as central air conditioning) i built a little roof on the chiller, and put my air pumps under the peak. the air lines are the landscape micro drip tubing, made for outdoors. they go thru my basement window encasement, thru the rafters, right to the sump. The air is mildly chilly, but doesnt make any impact. i talked to anthony calfo by phone one night, and he taught me this trick.
have fun
renee