• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Phosban and Carbon Reactor

Sunny

NJRC Member
Article Contributor
Ok - So I am thinking of adding a carbon and phosban reactor to my setup. I am looking to get two of "Two Little Fishies Phosban Reactor 550".

One for each. What is the maintenance on these? What kind of media are you all using? I will be using one pump (plumbed) to run both.

Sunny

i freely admit i am horrible about changing out the media. I believe carbon should be changed out every month - phosban can be extended longer. Don't ask me - my corals probably are begging for another owner! lol. The clowns seem to like it despite my efforts...hahah.

oops - just realized this is in advanced reefkeeping...which would not describe me at all!!!

Run the same reactor with carbon only. Change once a month and having no problems. To me it is a good thing to run, clears up my water and no smell. Plus I tend to over feed and it seems to help a bit. I'm running mine with a small maxi-jet pump. I'm considering adding a phosphate reactor as well but trying to justify it.

Sunny

NJRC Member
Article Contributor
Mike

This definitely looks interesting. However I am unsure it can hold enough carbon and phosban for 200 Gallon setup.

Sunny

Tazmaniancowboy

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
By the way, I don't know if I specified it in the other thread, but I chose to by 2 double reactors for my 400 gallon system. It gives me flexibility and I can run them both off of one maxijet 1200.

If I'm not mistaken, I believe that you could buy 2 doubles for the same cost if not less than 2 TLF550's.

Sunny

NJRC Member
Article Contributor
Taz

Awesome post. I am sold on these as well. You said you are running two (double) with one maxijet 1200? Does these things come with cartilages?
I know they look like RO/DI Units. if the come with cartilages, that is where we fill the media into?

Sunny

Tazmaniancowboy

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Yes, I have both doubles being powered by a maxijet 1200 and I still have to throttle back the flow with the ball valve that they include. I have had 2 chambers filled with gfo and two filled with carbon throttled back because there was too much tumble of the gfo. With the quick connect fittings, I just take the out of one unit and push into the in on the other....If/when I choose to only run one (double) I just disconnect the one unit from the input of the second unit and that becomes my output.(if you follow me)....If you choose to not put media in any chamber it will work too, this is what makes it so versatile for me....I can run 2,3 or 4 different medias or I can run all the same.

The cartridges are the same thing as your changeable DI cartridge on a RODI unit. again this makes it easy because you can purchase 2 extra empties and fill them with your media before you dig into changing them. You also do not even have to turn off the pump, I turn the ball valve, unscrew the clear canister, dump out the old with the old cartridge, slap the new one in and reset the ball valve while I run the output into a bucket until clean and then swivel the output back into the sump. Takes a whole 3 mins to replace 2 cartridges without taking the unit off line .

Yes the unit comes with empty cartridges and that is where you put the media.

Sunny

NJRC Member
Article Contributor
Cool Taz. Now one more thing , which media are you using? What Brand and how often does it need to be replaced?

Tazmaniancowboy

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Hawkeye said:
an alternative suggestion - go with brian at tba -

http://www.tbaquatics.com/shop/double-chamber-media-reactor-for-remphos-or-bac-310.html

we also get a member discount. Heck I might need one of these myself.

Brian at TB Aquatics does have the came units with one small difference that I see as a flaw. It is a very minor one , but unless you see it in person you would not see how valuable it is. On the BRS model, the in/out connectors actually swivel where as TB's are stationary. This gives me to bend or run my tubing any way I need to and the fitting will swivel into a natural position with no tension. The other will either screw out and leak or be under tension in certain situations.

Last time I checked they were the same price from either place. And just wanted to let you know that we do not get a discount from Brian. His lowest prices are offered to everybody.

Sunny

NJRC Member
Article Contributor
I also think they are not same unit. I will order the one you have (atleast it is time tested). Which media should i get? How often do we change the media?

Tazmaniancowboy

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
MAN I have to start typing faster, Each time I reply there is another post. Honestly I can not recommend one media over the other if that is what you are asking, but I have used the NJRC group buy gfo and carbon and I have also used the BRS High capacity gfo and rox carbon.I have also used Phosguard(I think that's the name)

The BRS stuff(TB Aquatics has also) is more expensive I believe, but it is easier to rinse and runs longer. Unfortunately I have gone through many changes in my tank and finally bought a phosphate photometer to late to test the group buy stuff, but I can tell you that I hadn't changed out my HC gfo for 2 months and the effluent was lower than the tank phos. Also with the Rox carbon you use 1/3 of the regular carbon due to its purity and shape( or something like that...LOL)

All I can say is that I have finally(knock on wood) got my reef under control. My cyano is almost all gone now and the little hair algae is dieing off. That being said, I think I will buy the same stuff again and expect to last much longer now. Hope this helps.

Tazmaniancowboy

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I'm not sure what I am going to do yet. For carbon, I am thinking either 1 cartridge of carbon every 2 weeks or 2 cartridges alternating 1 new one every month to keep bacteria.

For GFO, I suspect I will change out every month or two. I will be testing the effluent to see when I actually need to change it.

Sunny

NJRC Member
Article Contributor
OK - Ordered the BRS dual reactor GFO/carbon. I just got one for now and would run GFO in both to start since I have a 200G setup.

Many thanks to Taz and Mike.

Do I need to do anything special before I install it or just set it up? I ordered a maxijet 1200 for it as well.

Sunny

Tazmaniancowboy

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Nothing needs to be done, everything is included but the maxijet. Since you ordered the maxijet all you will have to do is load the cartridges, push all tubing to their respective fittings and the maxijet even pushes right into a fitting. You will be up and running in probably 5 mins! Don't forget to flush the dust out of the carbon!

Sunny

NJRC Member
Article Contributor
As I said, I am thinking to run GFO in both chambers for now (a month). Then I will run another dual unit with carbon.
This, unless you think otherwise.

monroereef said:
OK - Ordered the BRS dual reactor GFO/carbon. I just got one for now and would run GFO in both to start since I have a 200G setup.

Many thanks to Taz and Mike.

Do I need to do anything special before I install it or just set it up? I ordered a maxijet 1200 for it as well.

Sunny

Sunny a single canister will hold 2 cups of gfo or 3 cups of carbon. If you use brs's high capacity gfo youll only need about 1.5 cups for 200 gal. If you use their rox carbon, i think youll need 1.25 cups. So you really only need 1 dual reactor. If you were to use cheaper gfo and carbon you'd prob use 2x the amount then youll need a second dual reactor.
I have around 250 gallons in my system and i'm using 2 single units and it's workin out fine for me. Just a heads up so you dont buy more than you need