• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Phosban Reactor

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Nope. He just missed the buy on Kalk reactors. I'm not sure if we'll do the reactors separately or just ball them into the May PA buy (for June delivery).

Phyl said:
He just missed the buy on Kalk reactors.

I didnt miss it! I jumped into these Group Buys with both feet. Three in 2 month or so. No wonder why I am broke, I just cant pass up a good deal I guess.

Anyway, thanks for the feedback guys!

I am using Kent Phosphate sponge in my canister filter right now and my phosphate levels are pretty much undetectable. So it says one of these reactors are good for 150, my total amount of water is probably 260 gallons or so (180g DT, 55g Fuge, 55g Sump). So does anyone run two of these reactors? If so, do you just run them in-line with each other or on seperate pumps? What pump would be best for these reactors?

Im just trying to get an idea of what I might do for my next project (even though there are no funds to support such a project).

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
We have 570g and we use one reactor just fine. That in combination with kalk, especially if you're testing low (though hobbiest kits don't really work), will be perfect.

There's actually another kind of reactor that both Brian & Jose have. Wait for their reviews before making the purchase.

I run 3 for 3 different media. I chain them off from 1 maxijet. I put the heavier media closer to the pump, i.e. Matrix first (heavy media, can tolerate higher flow), then carbon, then GFO. GFO after carbon because I change GFO more often so this way it's easier to get to.

I used to run all of these in an eheim canister, but too much work to clean it out every week.

hayabusa2003 said:
I run 3 for 3 different media. I chain them off from 1 maxijet. I put the heavier media closer to the pump, i.e. Matrix first (heavy media, can tolerate higher flow), then carbon, then GFO. GFO after carbon because I change GFO more often so this way it's easier to get to.

I used to run all of these in an eheim canister, but too much work to clean it out every week.

Matrix first then carbon? I thought Matrix was carbon? Am I missing something here? So, is it honestly worth the expense and effort to run these media's in the reactor cyclinders verus my existing canister filter- which, as of yesterday, is actually pumping water through my chiller. So, to switch over to using reactors would require re-plumbing my chiller (and the addition of another pump). I am kind of thinking I should just stick with what I got?!?!?

Seachem Maxtrix is coarse white media that is suppose to culture de-nitrifying bacteria. Similar product to Siporax.

I did what you are doing an ran everything in my canister. Just got to be too much work to clean it every week. For me, even though my test kits showed 0ppm phosphate & nitrates, I could see the change visually if I didn't keep up with the canister's maintenance.

hayabusa2003 said:
Seachem Maxtrix is coarse white media that is suppose to culture de-nitrifying bacteria. Similar product to Siporax.

I did what you are doing an ran everything in my canister. Just got to be too much work to clean it every week. For me, even though my test kits showed 0ppm phosphate & nitrates, I could see the change visually if I didn't keep up with the canister's maintenance.

ah i gotcha now!

Matrix.jpg

well, for reasons stated above, i think i am just going to stick with my canister filter for the time being. not to mention that the FX5 is really easy to clean- at least compared to the fluval canisters i used back in the day (17 years ago when i started my first saltwater tank)

right now i am running seachem matrix carbon and kent phosphate sponge. but i think i am going to add the seachem matrix, and try Phosban when i run out of kent phosphate sponge.