• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

phosban reactor?

I'm looking to get a media reactor ....thinking of getting the TLF phosban150
any suggestions or advice / reviews

PS: looking to add this to my RSM250 so its got to go under the tank and be completely watertight

Some people have warned me to keep it in the sump cause they tend to leak. I have kept mine hanging outside the sump as well as seen others do it this way and never had a leak. But you know that in this hobby, nothing is 100 % bullet proof.

The only thing that's leaked on my TLF was the inlet and/or outlet tubes, but since it hangs on the sump, they leaked into the sump. Little bead of aquarium silicon around the tube before putting it on solved that problem.

Now the Kent model on the other hand was a different story ENIRELY...

Just one man's experience though.

Tazmaniancowboy

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Dave said:

Albie, I WAS a fan of the TLF reactors when they came out and somebody talked some sense into me. If you tweak the hose a little bit on the TLF reactors, they can leak or pop off and I have had problems with the o-rings too. I didn't care because it was in a basement.

Do yourself a favor and buy one of the Bulk ree supply ones. They are night and day compared to the other reactors for only about $10 more. They are set up exactly like our RO units with the screw on canister and a refillable drop in cartridge. The dual is excellent so you can run gfo and carbon from the same pump. If you choose not to run carbon just leave it empty, at least you will have an empty chamber if you need it in the future.

Hope this helps, I can't say enough how much better I like the Bulk Reef Supply reactors.

Taz

Hey Taz, can those be fed individually or is there only one input? If someone would want to use two different media, the flow requirement might be different.

I do not believe they can be fed individually, without a mod at least. Of course you could always buy two singles instead of one double.

Tazmaniancowboy

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
ricwilli said:
Hey Taz, can those be fed individually or is there only one input? If someone would want to use two different media, the flow requirement might be different.
No Rich, as Dave stated the dual would have to be modded or buy 2 singles. Out of curiosity, what media would you be concerned with?

Taz

How difficult are they to change media in regularly?

I can see they look to be rock solid, and given the canisters they are made from are the same as the RO/DI units, would be virtually leak proof.

Also, how much of a pain is it to adapt that small hose to a properly sized powerhead?

Tazmaniancowboy

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Matt, To change the media, I bought a couple of empty spare cartridges that I fill with my media. When it is time to change, I just turn the ball valve to the off position (ball valve is at the in side of the reactor which you control flow with), unscrew the clear housing, dump water and cartridge into an empty bucket, drop the new cartridge into the clear housing and screw it on (hand tight with no leaks)....then I proceed to open the ball valve to my desired flow, rinse media into the bucket via the outflow tubing and then drop the output tube back into the sump when I have clear output. The actual change time is about 1 minute. The longest part is rinsing the medias.......After I am done with all this (not necessarily the same day) I empty the old cartridges, clean them out and ready them for the next change.

I actually like the system that they have with the reactors. It is all push on fittings. The tubing attaches to the recommended pump(maxijet 900 or 1200)by a push on union with no mod at all. It really is a solid well thought out system in my opinion.

Taz

Tazmaniancowboy said:
Matt, To change the media, I bought a couple of empty spare cartridges that I fill with my media. When it is time to change, I just turn the ball valve to the off position (ball valve is at the in side of the reactor which you control flow with), unscrew the clear housing, dump water and cartridge into an empty bucket, drop the new cartridge into the clear housing and screw it on (hand tight with no leaks)....then I proceed to open the ball valve to my desired flow, rinse media into the bucket via the outflow tubing and then drop the output tube back into the sump when I have clear output. The actual change time is about 1 minute. The longest part is rinsing the medias.......After I am done with all this (not necessarily the same day) I empty the old cartridges, clean them out and ready them for the next change.

I actually like the system that they have with the reactors. It is all push on fittings. The tubing attaches to the recommended pump(maxijet 900 or 1200)by a push on union with no mod at all. It really is a solid well thought out system in my opinion.

Taz

Nice! Thanks Taz. That's exactly the info I was looking for. The TLF reactors require taking them completely off line to change and refill. Can be a PITA sometimes.

Tazmaniancowboy

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
mfisher2112 said:
Nice! Thanks Taz. That's exactly the info I was looking for. The TLF reactors require taking them completely off line to change and refill. Can be a PITA sometimes.

Exactly why I changed. Not to mention that eventually they all leaked. If you have roome for one, I recommend it highly.

If I say any more, I'm going to have to start asking them for a commision! LOL

Taz

Tazmaniancowboy said:
mfisher2112 said:

Exactly why I changed. Not to mention that eventually they all leaked. If you have roome for one, I recommend it highly.

If I say any more, I'm going to have to start asking them for a commision! LOL

Taz

LOL! maybe you should! You could split it with Dave! ;)

Definitely will have the room for it underneath that beast 210.

Tazmaniancowboy said:
ricwilli said:
No Rich, as Dave stated the dual would have to be modded or buy 2 singles. Out of curiosity, what media would you be concerned with?

Taz

Carbon and GFO. I think they they require different flow (just my opinion). Since I will not be using GFO, I would use carbon and Zeo stones like Nickjr mentioned. The Zeo stones require you to change the flow at least 1-2 times a week.

Tazmaniancowboy

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I use GFO and Carbon. Carbon should not tumble so I pack it solid and just use enough flow to tumble the GFO. In your case I would pack the carbon tightly and adjust the flow however you need for the Zeo stones. If the Carbon is packed tight, you could use any flow you wanted, although I know nothing about how fast water should be through carbon to be most effective?.

Taz

My understanding of the carbon was that it isn't supposed to be packed tightly, and that the flow should be just enough to cause the top to appear to "percolate". i think there were some posts about that from boomer a short time back.