• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Phosphate meter

dnov99

FRAG SWAP VENDOR
I am looking to invest in a phosphate meter to accurately detect low range phosphate levels. I am hearing more and more that the regualar test kits do not detect low levels.

If anybody has one of these I would greatly appreciate your input on it with your experience with it. Thanks!

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
We have one, purchase from Premium Aquatics in a group buy. It is the Hanna Meter. I don't have anything to compare it to, but it is easy to use and gives predictable results as long as you're following the directions.

I have the same one, the Hanna. As Phyl says, it's easy to use. The only problem I have with it is the accuracy. I talked to Hanna today because I'm getting high PO4 readings on freshly mixed salt. Hanna told me it has an accuray of +/- 0.04. So to check the meter I went out and bought distilled water. Now you would think that distilled water would read 0.00 or close to it. My reading was 0.04. With the +/-0.04 accuracy, the distilled water could be 0.00 (great) or 0.08(not great). Take my display tank. I'm getting readings of 0.05. Ok, is it really 0.01 or 0.09? For the PO4 readings that we're typically looking for in reef tanks, I think the accuracy should be a little tighter.

dnov99

FRAG SWAP VENDOR
Thanks for the replies. I was looking at the Hanna, and will probably go with that one.

Can we do another PA group buy???!!! ;D

I bought the YSI colorometer at aquatic eco systems. it does my lr phosphate, my calcium, my alkalinity, ph, and 50 other tests that i didnt buy the reagent for. waiting for the magnesium reagent for saltwater applications. my fav reef item. no more guessing.

dnov99

FRAG SWAP VENDOR
reneeRN said:
I bought the YSI colorometer at aquatic eco systems. it does my lr phosphate, my calcium, my alkalinity, ph, and 50 other tests that i didn't buy the reagent for.

Wow, I didnt realize that there was something that tested for everything like that. Could you please post a link to that product from the website I could not find that product. Thanks Renee