• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Phosphates

erics210

NJRC Member
Sooo. Been using my API test kits for a while now.
Usually my phophates test around 0.25
And nitrates usually 0.
Test kits are not expired.

Sooo picked up a Hanna Phosphates standard tester. Ran the test and results were 1.57.
I re-ran, as a double check. And 1.59.

I redid API test and 0.25ish.

Sooo I am way higher than I have thought. I do not have algae or any big noticible issues, but slower growth than desired. So maybe that has been limiting.
I run a skimmer and thought my phosphates and nitrates were in check.
Next I am ordering the Hanna nitrates tester.

I added Dr Tim's to increase bacterial consumption. Considering phosgard in a mesh bag near return pump or reactor or a GFO reactor. Also have NOPOX available. But I hear warnings from people bottoming out. At 1.57/1.59 that is not a big concern at the moment.

So possibly NOPOX and then GFO/Phosgard to maintain or continue to lower.

Any suggestions?

Fyi.
Red sea s500 with a 35 gallon frag tank tied in.
No sand. Weekly 30 gallon water changes.

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
If your tank looks good I would leave it.
Depending on what corals you want to keep.
Some LPS and soft corals like dirty water.

I always run GFO on all my tanks. You have to be careful GFO is very effective. I put some in a reactor and test and see how your corals look.

If possible feed less

D

Deleted member 27248

Bring ur water to another reefer or fish store and triple check before doing anything. That’s quite a big difference.

I dont totally trust the API test... or trust them at all for that matter. If hanna was telling you 1.XX thats quite high I would look into Phosban L to bring it down rather quickly and you can use GFO as well. Be fair warned the GFO can make your alk drop much faster than normal.

erics210

NJRC Member
+1 on not changing if the reef is happy. I’ve found hunt for specific parameters has caused me many more issues then it’s solved.
I hear you Amado and Dave. Things are stable but very slow growth. I am not going crazy yet. I changed filter socks, stirred up and turkey baster a bunch of times, changed filter socks, added a little Dr Tim's bacteria to maybe consume more nitrates. Lastly, when I feed I am turning everything off. Sometimes I did. Sometimes I didn't.

Will give it a check before water change this weekend and see where I end up.

Eric Rodriguez is gonna double check my results too. So no big changes till after I get some more data.

And as far as happy corals.
I think there is happy and surviving.
I have very slow growth overall.
Some things do a little better than others. But am monitoring and will adjust accordingly.

I hear you Amado and Dave. Things are stable but very slow growth. I am not going crazy yet. I changed filter socks, stirred up and turkey baster a bunch of times, changed filter socks, added a little Dr Tim's bacteria to maybe consume more nitrates. Lastly, when I feed I am turning everything off. Sometimes I did. Sometimes I didn't.

Will give it a check before water change this weekend and see where I end up.

Eric Rodriguez is gonna double check my results too. So no big changes till after I get some more data.

And as far as happy corals.
I think there is happy and surviving.
I have very slow growth overall.
Some things do a little better than others. But am monitoring and will adjust accordingly.

The problem with high phosphates and low nitrates is that your tank is out of balance. I had this issue a few months back and lost a TON of color in a lot of my coral. They need to be balanced otherwise things won't grow as you want them. Definitely get someone to help you run a test on both and see what you come up with. I had to dose Potassium Nitrate to boost my No3 PPM a bit and GFO/Phosban-L to bring my phosphates down. Since then its been stable and steady with excellent growth and the color has all come back. Same exact thing happened to a friend just recently who refuses to test No3 and Po4 often, they were out of balance and loosing color.

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
everyone has their own way of doing things.
this is straight from the Dr‘s Tim’s mouth.

nitrate = 5-10
phosphate .03-.05

erics210

NJRC Member
The problem with high phosphates and low nitrates is that your tank is out of balance. I had this issue a few months back and lost a TON of color in a lot of my coral. They need to be balanced otherwise things won't grow as you want them. Definitely get someone to help you run a test on both and see what you come up with. I had to dose Potassium Nitrate to boost my No3 PPM a bit and GFO/Phosban-L to bring my phosphates down. Since then its been stable and steady with excellent growth and the color has all come back. Same exact thing happened to a friend just recently who refuses to test No3 and Po4 often, they were out of balance and loosing color.
Next purchase will be the Hanna otrates HR tester once in stock.