• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Phyto

I've cultured some phyto (a mix of Nannochloropsis and Tetraselmis) in the past week and have some extra that I don't want to dose into my tank. If anyone is looking to buy or trade for some pm me.

Local pick up only in 07059

erics210

NJRC Member
Not to hi-jack your phyto thread, but IF I was planning to start my own Phyo farm, which phyto do you suggest getting?
You said yours is a mix of Nannochloropsis and Tetraselmis.

My plan is to get some, add the fertilizer as needed, and once I can split the colony a few times I was thinking of trying to also grow pods.
So would like some of the phyto rolling before hand.

Is there a certain phyto that would be best for straight tank dosing versus tank dosing AND food for pod farm?

THANKS for any input you can share.

Also I will be in the Sewell are this Saturday if that is anywhere near you?

Eric

Not to hi-jack your phyto thread, but IF I was planning to start my own Phyo farm, which phyto do you suggest getting?
You said yours is a mix of Nannochloropsis and Tetraselmis.

My plan is to get some, add the fertilizer as needed, and once I can split the colony a few times I was thinking of trying to also grow pods.
So would like some of the phyto rolling before hand.

Is there a certain phyto that would be best for straight tank dosing versus tank dosing AND food for pod farm?

THANKS for any input you can share.

Also I will be in the Sewell are this Saturday if that is anywhere near you?

Eric
Hey no problem... I got my phyto from here. I liked the mix because it would keep the pods healthy and nutrient for the fish. I can share my research doc with you if you want (its a little bit of a mess but you can get the idea of how to start from it...

Sewell is a distance from me

erics210

NJRC Member
Hey no problem... I got my phyto from here. I liked the mix because it would keep the pods healthy and nutrient for the fish. I can share my research doc with you if you want (its a little bit of a mess but you can get the idea of how to start from it...

Sewell is a distance from me
Ok. I am all the way up in Bergen County. Actually driving 2 hours South to get to Sewell. I'll keep an eye out in case anyone is headed your way from up here. Eric Rodriguez seems to do alot of traveling about...lol

I am a fan of Florida aqua farms. They sell culture discs. And they will stay perfectly fine in there dormant state for six months so having a couple on hand is nice in case of a crash

same mix of Nannochloropsis and Tetraselmis.
If you're gonna culture you can only do one strain per container. You can mix them when you're gonna use them but if you culture them in the same container, one will take over and you'll end up with just the one that's "stronger"