• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Phytoplankton

Culturing live phyto at home. Now I have more than I know what to do with. Looking to sell some, $10 a pouch or 2 for $18, and 3 for $27

I have 5 pouches available they were harvested on Wednesday 2/3/2021
Great for pods (seahorse or Mandarin keepers), fish breeders, filter feeders like clams, non-photosynthetic corals, etc.

Pick up at Jefferson township , NJ 07438

I can do contact less pick up.

Attachments

• 20210206_150523.jpg
    20210206_150523.jpg
    5.6 MB · Views: 15
I had some outside for 6+ months in the sun (clear plastic bottles) and I think it's fine. i guess the stuff cannot live in the dark of your fridge but I'd say it can live indefinitely in the light. it's just algae, not like you have to feed it or anything. I mean you can feed it but it will grow in light and air. just like in the ocean.

I had some outside for 6+ months in the sun (clear plastic bottles) and I think it's fine. i guess the stuff cannot live in the dark of your fridge but I'd say it can live indefinitely in the light. it's just algae, not like you have to feed it or anything. I mean you can feed it but it will grow in light and air. just like in the ocean.
It can't live forever out of the fridge. It goes bad. The reason we keep them in the fridge is because it keeps them in sort of a frozen stage where they're basically asleep. All you need to do is make sure you shake the bottle once a day to every other day

I feed my tank with it, about 100ml a day, as far how long it last in my experience I had it for one month with no issues, I used all so I dont know if will last longer

I feed my tank with it, about 100ml a day, as far how long it last in my experience I had it for one month with no issues, I used all so I dont know if will last longer
I have been culturing phyto for a while. The phyto they sell at ACC is actually from me. In the fridge, it'll last about 5-6 months or so. Less if kept warm as they'll continue to reproduce and run out of food. The longest i kept a bottle was 7 months as an experiment. A lot less dense (under a microscope) so I wouldn't do anything more than 5

idk man those bottles from outside look green to me. I just brought them in and put them under light and added some miracle grow. let's see if they take off or not. I guess at least half the time, probably more, they were out there it was cold out. we'll see. I mean if any made it at all I'm sure it'll eventually take off.

Mickey so cool that you were able to do that ,, you know that I’m gonna have to hit you up for a lg bottle,, haha lol ,, but seriously I’ll be calling you

yeah for sure. I'll let you know when (if) it turns dark green. I was growing this back when I had some clown eggs for the rotifers. I have always thought dead algae turns white grey or brown, so if green must have some life.

radiata

NJRC Member
Thanks for the quick reply! Unfortunately, I have little faith in my ability to culture nannochloropsis, let alone tetraselmis, so I'll have to pass...