• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Picasso and other rare fish color variants

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jmckdvm

This particular thread was started as a response to a post in a vendor forum. Because it relates to more of our community and our purpose (breeding of fish and corals to preserve our environment), I've split this portion of that thread and moved it so that all of the community could participate. --Phyllis

do you ever get grade A picasso's?

To simply answer your question, I will say "YES" I can get them, but I have a moral dilemma in doing so. I have been avoiding buying them, along with the other mutations (Misbars and Black Perculas). I know I will stir up some controversy, but this gives me an opportunity to voice my opinion on the production and sale of genetic-mutation fish. I believe it is our moral obligation, as aquarists, to frown upon, and discourage the in-breeding of genetic mutations by boycotting the purchase of them so as not to encourage breeders to continue the breeding and sale of them.

Let me compare this to the common parakeet, if I may. Australia hasn't exported parakeets in over 50 years. So, 50 years ago, we had healthy parakeets in the U.S. Then, man started to in-breed them: brother-to-sister, son-to-mother, etc. The result is genetic mutations: beautiful-colored birds that the public likes, but genetic disasters! Today, parakeets are much smaller than they once were, are born with weak immune systems, and have organs that "konk-out" in a short time. In fact, the average life-span of a parakeet is now only 3-6 years in the U.S.! (Out in the wild they live 15 years or more). They have the highest incidence of cancer of any animal on earth: one out of five develops tumors!

Back to fish: When I was a little boy (late 50's) my grandmother bred guppies. She had tanks all over her house with no filter or heater; just gravel, a lot of plants, and a penny in every tank. (Pennies in those days were made of real copper). The guppies were huge and robust. Fast forward to today: what do you see now in the stores? Skinny, scrawny guppies with beautiful tails. But I challenge anyone to keep them alive for more than a few months, let alone a few years. They, too, are "genetic disasters!"

We saltwater hobbiests have been lucky. Until recently, essentially all fish have come from the oceans so there hasn't been any inbreeding. But, in recent years, we know that certain types of fish can be bred in captivity. This is a wonderful thing....as long as its done in a responsible manner. That means avoiding in-breeding AND culling genetic mutations. But of course it is the genetic mutations that bring the big bucks...so probably, in a few decades, aquarists will be seeing the same thing happen to saltwater fish that has happened to guppies and other freshwater fish, as well as parakeets and other birds. What a shame.

I don't expect my viewpoint to change the choices everyone will make, but if I can get just a handful of people to change their viewpoint and agree with what I've written, then my time spent writing this has been well worthwhile. (I welcome others' opinions).

Dr. Jim

Re: NEW ARRIVALS: ORA SPS FRAGS (and ORA FISH)

This is my viewpoint on the Picassos (as another scientist can give -- in my case, a future Chemistry teacher).

I don't really see much of an issue with the breeding of Picassos. I don't think I've heard of many dropping off shortly after purchase or whatnot and I think we would've seen much more of a backlash if this was the case.

I do certainly have a problem with messing with genetics (Glo-Fish, Parrot Cichlids, Flowerhorns, etc), but simple color mutations I don't have much of an issue with. I also am not sure if these fish are somehow all related to each other to get them to breed. I don't know if ORA would've put together two closely related fish that looked funky to do that. I'd have to assume that the original Picasso pairs weren't brother/sister and were both genetic mutants.

I also wouldn't discourage them because I'm not too sure that they are genetically weaker than the other clowns. It's certainly a possibility, but they simply haven't existed long enough for something like that to be studied. They aren't albinos (which always have the problem of being slightly genetically inferior and more prone to health problems) and none of the one's that I have seen in person have shown any strange behaviors that I would deem problematic.

I certainly think that more research should be done on these clowns, but until it is I wouldn't write them off just yet. I just haven't heard any cases of them dying off after a short time or any other major health problems.

I don't know if it's available, but I would like to know just how ORA "produces" these clowns. It certainly would be an interesting read.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus

Very interesting point, Dr. Jim. I do think that if it is inbreeding that is causing this variant then indeed we should be quite wary. Maybe not today, but slowly, surely, over time the quality will degrade. Possibly so slowly we don't see it coming until they are dying months or years instead of after a long time in captivity.

J

jmckdvm

I'd have to assume that the original Picasso pairs weren't brother/sister and were both genetic mutants.
Jonathan: It doesn't really matter if the original pair were brother and sister, the point is this: All of the Picassos being distributed are from this one pair, so aquarists purchasing them to breed will be acquiring siblings. Then, those siblings' offspring will be paired up with their own siblings or with their "uncles" and "aunts"....and so on and so on down the line. So, we should NOT expect to see any phylogenic changes (i.e. changes that can be seen with the "naked eye".) for many generations/years. (This is exactly what has happened with the parakeet, guppies, and many other freshwater tropical fish that I alluded to previously).

I certainly think that more research should be done on these clowns, but until it is I wouldn't write them off just yet. I just haven't heard any cases of them dying off after a short time or any other major health problems.
Again, we shouldn't expect to see them dye off until many generations down the road....and by then, it will be too late to do anything about it. AND, the bigger problem is that by then, breeders will be crossing Picassos with "normal" perculas many of whose offspring may look like "normal" perculas but will be carrying the "picasso genes". Then these will be bred with other "normals"....and before you know it, it will be hard to find TRUE normal perculas. This is exactly what has happened to parakeets: you cannot find a single parakeet in the U.S. that has not been in-bred.
Phil essentially summed up what I just wrote by saying:
Maybe not today, but slowly, surely, over time the quality will degrade. Possibly so slowly we don't see it coming until they are dying months or years in-instead of after a long time in captivity.

I don't know if it's available, but I would like to know just how ORA "produces" these clowns. It certainly would be an interesting read.
My understanding is that they are all coming from one single pair!

I don't expect to change what is happening. I'm sure ORA will never stop selling the picassos, and those that bought them to breed are obviously not "thinking along the lines" that I am presenting. Even if 95% of aquarists act responsibly on this issue, it only takes a handful to continue the in-breeding and eventual destruction of the percula gene-pool. Its not something to loose sleep over...its destined to happen, and there are plenty of more serious problems in our world that our ignorant and selfish human race has caused. It is obvious that the masses haven't reached the intellectual, moral and spiritual levels to prevent these problems. (Sorry to sound so harsh).

Dr. Jim

If it's truly one pair (which I had no idea), than I completely agree with you. I thought that they were able to cull the genetic irregularities and breed them from different brood stock.

That's kind of disturbing, to be honest.

It's not coming off as harsh, either. It's actually a good thing to point this out (especially if it can be confirmed that the pair are the only existing originals and that they are possibly related).

Good call, Dr. Jim.

J

jmckdvm

But even if there were more than one pair.....they are still genetic mutations (thereby most likely carrying some kind of a "weak" gene) and are destined to be in-bred with all the resulting problems that have been discussed. It is highly unlikely that the offspring of any pair will NOT be bred amongst themselves.

jmckdvm said:
But even if there were more than one pair.....they are still genetic mutations (thereby most likely carrying some kind of a "weak" gene) and are destined to be in-bred with all the resulting problems that have been discussed. It is highly unlikely that the offspring of any pair will NOT be bred amongst themselves.

Well, I wouldn't say that it would be LIKELY that they had a weak gene (especially if they were not inbred clowns), as that's assuming quite a bit via genetics. It would certainly be possible, but I don't know if it could be considered likely.

But the fact that they are likely inbred scares me away from them completely as any problem that was in the original clown would certainly be passed. But, as I said, we don't know if there is a problem. But that risk is enough for me not to shell out the money for them and agree with you to not encourage people to purchase them.

I agree with both sides of this. It all depends on how you believe that man was created. If it was evolution, the we all came from one organism, that split and then split again and then blah blah blah we know how this goes. On the other hand,if the creation of humans were from one man and one woman, then we all are from a long line of inbreeding(hopefully not anywhere in the near past.) This may also be why humans have so many medical conditions. All I can say is that when a breed of anything first starts out, there is limited options for a mate, so imbreeding in every living thing is inevitable.

J

jmckdvm

But....I think the main point, and concern, is that this mutation, the Picasso, will inevitably be INTER-bred with "normal" perculas, eventually destroying the Percula gene pool. Is is therefore possible, some far-off day in the future, (when it is no longer legal to import marine fish from the oceans), that the "normal" percula may no longer exist in captivity in its original, healthy, non-adulterated form. This is exactly what has happened to the guppy and other freshwater fish, as well as parakeets, cockatiels, canaries, and finches. (This last sentence is a well-known and accepted FACT...not just an opinion!)

Isn't it that most of the live stock from ORA would be inbreeds? I would think in any large production facility pairing of relatives would be inevitable

J

jmckdvm

I know that they start their lines with wild-caught fish. I don't know what happens from there. Hopefully, they are conscientious enough to cross offspring from unrelated pairs. And, hopefully, anyone setting up fish for breeding will try to do the same.

BobCReef said:
Isn't it that most of the live stock from ORA would be inbreeds? I would think in any large production facility pairing of relatives would be inevitable

I would assume that they have enough breeding pairs to prevent this.

WOW! I have been watching and reading this thread biting my tongue at every post. Talk of boycott, genetic mutations, inbreeding makes my head spin. For obvious reasons, I've been hesitant to jump in but can't hold myself back any longer. The picasso and snowflakes are sold as pets not as mated pairs or breeding pairs. Most people want 2 of them and thus they are sold in two's, a pair. If inbreeding occurs it's after they are in the hands of hobbyists. These are extremely rare and beautiful color varations that occur naturally between 2 non-related adult clownfish, there are no mad scientists efforts in gene splicing, artificial insemination, inbreeding or otherwise. Pretty much the same as two healthy dark headed adults having a blonde headed baby, a natural but rare occurance. There are probably different color variations in the open seas that we will never see. I would venture to say that there are clown fish in the wild with the color patterns of picassos and snowflakes as well. If captured, they would be called a "new" species of clownfish and no one would think ill about it.

Bangaii cardinals are at a risk of extinction on the coral reefs. They are currently being bred by ORA as well as other hatcheries and hobbyists, when a color variation occurs and the law of averages dictates that it will..maybe an all black one, an all white one it will be a very natural, albiet rare occurance and should be expected and they will be in demand by hobbyists.

Aquaculture of corals and breeding of fish in aquariums is a our way to help continue the beauty of our coral reefs which are slowly being destroyed for a variety of natural and manmade reasons. It's our way of helping to continue this hobby that we have such a passion for. Breeding of fish is relatively new and as we continue I'm sure that we will see other rare occurances of color variations just as we do see differences in humans. We should embrace the work that hatcheries are doing , it's this work that will make it possible to breed more types of fish and corals and allow us to continue with this hobby. Florida is banking on this type of research to help rebuild their coral reefs. I'm sure this will expand to other areas of the world as well.

Breeding clowfish, bangaii cardinals or any marine fish for that matter is not an easy task. If it were, hatcheries like ORA and others would not be in business. They are doing something that the average hobbyist can't do and what they are doing is for the good of the hobby. Instead of pointing fingers, let's embrace their work and research and enjoy the benefits of tank raised fish and aquacultured corals.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Brian, thanks for your insight and clarification on the issue. I'm relieved to know that these fish are produced as a result of the natural process, and not due to inbreeding.

The one thing that this topic has really brought home with me is that if any of us are purchasing fish for breeding purposes, whether those are picassos or GSMs or Bangaai we should be putting effort into ensuring that the pair that we start off with is from two different breeding pairs.

That likely means not just purchasing your 2 GSM at two different times, but even more so from two different breeders. It will take a bit more work on our part to ensure the breeders we get are not related, but would be for the good of the fish going forward.

This topic really has nothing to do with ORA and EVERYTHING to do with our responsibilities as aquarists, especially those that take the hobby to the point of breeding on purpose resulting in raising fry.

Thanks again!

J

jmckdvm

Pretty much the same as two healthy dark headed adults having a blonde headed baby, a natural but rare occurance

The example of getting a blonde-headed baby is much different than from what happens when/if the "picasso genes" are mixed into the percula gene-pool. I'm reluctant to try to explain my point again since I feel like I'm being repetitive and going in circles, using the guppy and parakeet examples that I cited.

Only about 1 of a hundred offspring from the original Picasso pair show the Picasso color pattern. The other 99 look exactly like perculas BUT they are carrying the Picasso genes. These fish are flooding the market. If someone obtains one of these fish to set up for breeding, they are not going to have "pure" perculas to breed.

I didn't see where anyone "bashed" ORA. I, too, feel that what they are doing with coral and fish aquaculture is a wonderful thing. In fact, I dream of doing what they are doing, but on a miniature scale. I merely intended to point out the disadvantages of introducing the Picasso gene pool. I didn't intend, or expect, this thread to become so involved and continue so long...but still maintain that it is a mistake to ignore the negative ramifications that can manifest by introducing the Picasso. I agree that if every Picasso sold went only to hobbiests as "pets", and not to be bred, then there would be no problem. But, I think that it would be naive to think that none of these fish are being purchased for breeding purposes.

Dr. Jim

Sometimes nature selects mutations as being an improvement.

Not to diminish the need to avoid inbreeding, but I think natural selection will work here.

I think Picasso's are ugly.

I think Picasso's are WAY overpriced.

I think Picasso's are a fad fish being acquired by folks with WAY TOO MUCH money in their pockets.

I think that somewhere between the crappy economy and the superior beauty of natural ocellaris and percula clowns we'll see this fad die away!

Natural Selection restores the gene pool once again. ;D

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I think his point is that the picasso pair are just a pair of perculas that happen to both have the same rare color morph. Those genes are ALREADY part of the percula gene pool This isn't a different breed any more than my rare yellow color morph of a golden morray is any different than the golden morray. That would make it EXACTLY like the blond haired baby.

The important lesson, I think, is for hobbyists planning on breeding not to get a "mated pair" out of the same "litter". Something that probably happens more often than not!

Now... if they were to start selling MATABLE pairs of [insert fish breed here] that would be COOOOOL!

If only we could get the final word from the horses mouth, I'm sure that would clear this whole conversation right up!

Unfortunately by now most of the clownfish that are existing pairs that are tank bred and are in tanks currently are most likely brother and sisters. We all must remember that clownfish can change sex which throws a wrench in the inbreeding since they technically change their genetic makeup.

I personally dont like um because they are not achieved through a "natural process", someone has interviened to weed out the ones that carry the gene and put them with others that have the gene. That creates two clowns with a greater chance of picassos.

You dont have to buy them or carry them its your choice.

I am too poor or cheap to worry about Picassos. ::) On the other hand bangaii cardinal fish are being driven to extinction by us as hobbyists. I think as conscientious reefers we need to start examining the long term viability of sustainable harvest of various organisms in our tanks.

Does anyone know if there are lists that detail which fish are impacted by us?

Status
Not open for further replies.