• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Pink bubble tip anemone

Hi,

I just picked up a small (about 2.5" open) anemone for my maroon clownfish. (They took to it almost immediately.)

The anemone has attached itself to the glass and climbed near the top of the tank.

Should I let it run its course, or should I try to relocate it?

If I do relocate it, what is the best placement for it?

What do you all think?

Kenny Z.

I'd probably let it run it's course unless it's going to get hurt or hurt something else. It will probably move around over the next week or two anyway, until it finds a place it's comfortable.

Thanks Jack,

It seems to have reached the water line and stopped for now.

I guess I will need to keep an eye on it so it does not hurt any of my corals.

Do you think that being on the glass is temporary or could it find a home up there?

Z.

The anemone might be moving for any number of reasons: lighting, water flow, or worst case scenario, water chemistry. It may keep moving or it may stay there permanently.

If it's moved to a spot you don't like (i.e. right in the middle of your display on the glass), you may want to encourage it to move again...a possibility might be to use a ph to gently convince the anemone the new spot chosen isn't as ideal as it originally though.

Just be sure it doesn't get anywhere near any pump inlets (or that those are covered).

Like Phil said, it's possible it may just stay where it's at on the glass if it likes it there. I have used a credit card to gently remove my GBTA from the glass and then put it in a different spot.

Of course it never stayed where I wanted it to. I caught it a couple times with tentacles stuck in the pump for my CPR skimmer, but by that time it was firmly attached to a big piece of live rock with no way to safely move it. I was able to free it from the pump a few times but it eventually proved to be it's demise :( In after thought I should have moved my skimmer to a different spot, but then the flow in the tank would have changed and the BTA probably would have moved anyway.

If your anenome is happy on the glass and it's not in the way of your view or your equipment it may just be better to leave it there.

It seems to have settled in the upper front corner of the tank. It is so near the top, that you almost can't see it because of the hood. It is just below the water line.

It does not seem to be in any distress. The water chemistry is really good, so I don't think that is the issue.

It ate pretty well today.

I would like it to be more viewable, but I guess it knows what it best for it.

I think I am going to give it a couple of days and see if it moves on its own. Then, I may try to get it to take to another area.

Thanks for the input.

Kenny Z.

mikem

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
What kind of lighting do you have on your tank?
I've had them under PC lighting and they stayed by the top.
I updated to 250watt Halides and he stayed in the front where I put him. I then upgraded to 400watt Halides and he goes in the rock half the day then comes out the other half.
Not sure if the lighting means anything, but just my experience.

Brian

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I thought VHO bulbs need to be switched out @ the 6 month mark.

I've noticed a dramatic difference in color between new bulbs and 6 month old bulbs.

mikem

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
ReefDrumz said:
I thought VHO bulbs need to be switched out @ the 6 month mark.

I've noticed a dramatic difference in color between new bulbs and 6 month old bulbs.
When I was running them I noticed them going bad around 5 to 6 months too. Thats why I asked.
I think the BTA might be stretching for light. What kind of lighting were they in before you got them?

I think the tank he was in had a MH bulb...

I hope I can provide a suitable home for him. I am going to watch him closely for the next few days...He seems to be doing pretty well. He is fully open and eating, but has not moved from the top of the tank.

He also never tried to stay on any of the rock. I put him in and he took right to the glass.

Maybe if I gently urge him to take up residence on one of the higher pieces of rock he would take to it.

Worst case I guess he finds his way back to the glass and climbs.

OK...A bit of an update.

The anemone has slowly descended away from the top of the tank and is still looking healthy.

We have been spot fed for the past week. Our maroon clowns have taken to the anemone, giving it lots of love, but they have not been feeding it as far as we have seen.

Should we stop spot feeding it? Could that be the reason they have not been feeding it?

What do you all think?

Kenny Z.

I would keep feeding it.

I'm surprised that your maroons aren't viciously defending the anemone when you attempt to feed it...mine did. Then she'd promptly take the food from the tongs and bring it straight to the anemone.