• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

PISSED

That's just awful. Seems doubtful this person will be found though. Hopefully karma catches up. Can't say I've ever had the thought of 'I hope their tank crashes hard' about someone till today.

Salted

NJRC Member
Wow that takes balls. I don't even ask for discounts at my regular lfs, I don't feel I buy enough there to merit asking.

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
I'm not surprised, it's not the 1st time something like this has happened. Like @mnat just mentioned.

Sux for us as we've had falling outs with sponsors in the past for this. For them being "duped" or pressured into something by "NJRC"

That sucks....love that Petco and never thought to ask for discounts. There's no need-the prices are great and the fact that I get healthy and hardy specimens from there is all that's needed. I agree about most Petco's in general but Brick Petco is one of very few places I trust to purchase livestock from, and any chance I get to talk shop with Andrew and pick his brain is time well spent.
Happy Thanksgiving folks. Thankful for this community and this hobby, and that the occasional rotten egg hasn't ruined it for me yet.

Last edited:
Wow a lot of information to process.
I had no idea petco in brick gave njreef members a discount.
I had no idea petco was selling biota yellow tangs. Lol
I know how nice the petco in brick is and I know a lot of people like buying there. But as a company no one should be buying fish or live stock from petco. The way they take care of fish and coral is horrible.
You risk getting your tank infested with poor/sick fish and corals.
If we all don’t buy they will stop selling.
I second that. I'll never buy fish or coral from Petco. Even the brick one. While they do take good care of stuff, at the end of the day, it's still a Petco. And i remember seeing a large outbreak of disease while Andrew was out. I very highly doubt they went through the process of getting rid of all parasites and diseases properly.

DEL

Vice President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
can we find out who it is ? can someone who got the connect there ask? we don't need that type of negative feedback on the club. ESPECIALLY using our brother Mark's name.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
I second that. I'll never buy fish or coral from Petco. Even the brick one. While they do take good care of stuff, at the end of the day, it's still a Petco. And i remember seeing a large outbreak of disease while Andrew was out. I very highly doubt they went through the process of getting rid of all parasites and diseases properly.
They lost many sales while Andrew was out. It took him several months to to get going and many tanks were in QT and not for sale.

They lost many sales while Andrew was out. It took him several months to to get going and many tanks were in QT and not for sale.
At least that PETCO understood what QT and not for sale was all about. My local Petco is a disgrace. 3 or 4 next to death clown fish, brown slime algae. On the bright side, they went from 20 ish display tanks down to maybe 8.
This is what drove away sponsors in the past too. Sadly this is not the first time someone has done this in a fish store.
why would this drive sponsors away? If they are offering discounts to a reefing club it is more to drive sales than an altruistic overature. This person bought stuff at the store instead of online / somewhere else which is the point of the discount.

I thought Petco can not QT as I have asked before and been told that it’s against their policy use medications.
If it’s possible shame on those other Petco stores. :(

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
I thought Petco can not QT as I have asked before and been told that it’s against their policy use medications.
If it’s possible shame on those other Petco stores. :(
They put a sign "under observation" and won't sell them. Not sure about medication.

Looks like they got more in. Man they are small and pale. Nothing like their Hawaiian counterparts. I’m glad I picked up a Hawaiian one before the ban

Attachments

• 64615FA7-F5B4-4B28-9238-CFF02A595356.jpeg
    64615FA7-F5B4-4B28-9238-CFF02A595356.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 17
  • 0AB239FC-DEA5-4E21-B2D3-C624EE483A9D.jpeg
    0AB239FC-DEA5-4E21-B2D3-C624EE483A9D.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 16
  • 1452BE04-DFD6-4302-BE84-7681640FA2B9.jpeg
    1452BE04-DFD6-4302-BE84-7681640FA2B9.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 17

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
why would this drive sponsors away? If they are offering discounts to a reefing club it is more to drive sales than an altruistic overature. This person bought stuff at the store instead of online / somewhere else which is the point of the discount.

Petco is not a sponsor and we have no relationship with them, discounts there are at the discretion of the staff so using our name and then acting like an ass only makes stores less likely so form a sponsorship. In the past people would also threaten the employees of stores with bad reviews on the site if they didn’t get a discount/bigger discount. This guy mentioned above was clearly being an ass and name dropping people he had no right to be name dropping, it is only going to piss the employees off more and make them less likely to give discounts in the future.

diana a

Staff member
NJRC Member
Wow is the the price of those yellow tangs now! I remember when I got one back in 2012 and it was the cheap tang...around $35...I know I would have not spent more than that on a fish back then