• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

pistol shrimp

i dont think there a problem, are you sure they are pistols and not mantis? they both make snapping noises.. if you dont want one and can catch him id be glad to take him off your hands..

If you have rather small fish, ie. juviniles, chromis, etc. it is possible that the shrimp may stun/attack them. Does not mean that they will though.

i have successfully removed three mantis shrimp. i have visually confirmed two pistol shrimp. my small fish include a purple psuedo and a scooter blenny. i have seen the pistol shrimp snap at the psuedo, but the psuedo didnt seem to concerned with him. it actually seemed like the psuedo was messing with the pistol shrimp. if i could get them out without wrecking my tank i would, but i dont think its possible.

how big is it?

you could try placing pieces of bait/food in the bottle-trap in front of whatever LR the pistol is hiding in.

Personally I was never good with the bottle traps but I was good at taking the tbs rock out, placing that piece (with the pistol) in a bucket and blasting the "home" with seltzer water.

these things seem to move around the tank a lot more than the mantis shrimp did. i set a trap every night for the mantis and finally removed three of them, but never had a pistol shrimp go near the trap.

what i really want to know is what risk do they pose? is it worth all the trouble of trying to removing them?

i think your talking about wild hitch-hiker pistol shrimp.. im unsure of the threat they pose but i know i put a $30 randalli in my tank awhile ago and he did fine and i havnt found him in 2 weeks #%^@#@ :mad: lol

Patriot76 said:
these things seem to move around the tank a lot more than the mantis shrimp did. i set a trap every night for the mantis and finally removed three of them, but never had a pistol shrimp go near the trap.

what i really want to know is what risk do they pose? is it worth all the trouble of trying to removing them?

I don't think they pose much of a risk at all. The snapping is just to ward off the fish. Not meant to catch and kill them.

jonathan. said:
Patriot76 said:

I don't think they pose much of a risk at all. The snapping is just to ward off the fish. Not meant to catch and kill them.

thats pretty much what i thought too, just wanted some reassurance. i mean, they have been in there since Feb and havent really caused a problem yet. maybe a snail/hermit or two, no big deal.

well if theyve been in there that long i would just leave em.. if theyre not causing a problem then they are just an extra natural scavenger

Actually, the reason pistol shrimp have their pistol is to catch food. "The shrimp snaps a specialized claw shut to create a cavitation wave that generates acoustic pressures of up to 80 kPa at a distance of 4 cm from the claw. The pressure wave is strong enough to kill small fish." (quoted from one of my fish books) The cavitation also causes sonolumination. Yup, the little bubble he creates causes a spark of light and heat that can reach up to 5000 kelvin!!! In labs, people can recreate this effect with heat hitting as high as 20,000 kelvin. Found this part here which is really neat http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonoluminescence

A cool thing about pistol shrimp is their symbyotic relationship with gobies. They actually live together. Should look it up.

IrradiatedReef said:
A cool thing about pistol shrimp is their symbyotic relationship with gobies. They actually live together. Should look it up.
Only the certain species from the pacific. The ones in patriot's tank do not have any relationship. They hunt on their own.

In this video -the pistol attacked a cleaner shrimp:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKPrGxB1Kzc
I think the commentary is overdone - i'd just watch it on mute.

Not saying yours will do that (for all we know that one in the video was being starved) - just that the predator behavior is possible.

phil519 said:
IrradiatedReef said:
Only the certain species from the pacific. The ones in patriot's tank do not have any relationship. They hunt on their own.

In this video -the pistol attacked a cleaner shrimp:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKPrGxB1Kzc
I think the commentary is overdone - i'd just watch it on mute.

i have had 2 cleaner shrimp in my tank for about 6 months now, they dont seem too scared of the pistol shrimp. i've spotted a pistol shrimp pretty close by to where the cleaners spend most of their time. but usually the pistols are at the bottom of the tank hidding under a piece of rock, and the cleaners hang out on the highest rock.

also, i watched one pistol snap is claw right in the face of my purple psuedo over and over again and the psuedo didnt seem phased at all. it actually looked like the psuedo was messing with the pistol shrimp.
Not saying yours will do that (for all we know that one in the video was being starved) - just that the predator behavior is possible.

First time ever getting a pic of this guy

120868.jpg

120867.jpg

120865.jpg

120859.jpg

i know for sure that it is a pistol shrimp, not a mantis. i have no evidence of any wrong doing, and he has been in there for about 8 months now, so i am not making any effort to try to remove him. he is mostly just heard, not seen.

I have a pistol shrimp that at first would not come out of the tunnels it dug beyond a quick peek here and there. I added a yellow watchman goby and they immediately bonded. Now the pistol comes out and boldly goes after food and builds elaborate tunnel opening structures with live rock rubble and the small stones I have mixed in with my live sand bed (my wife thinks he looks like a queer eye redecorating type guy when he lifts up rocks and places them here then there over and over again until they fit just so). The tunnels are extensive with openings filled in after lights out (supposedly in the wild they do this to avoid eels coming in at night) and new openings are made again in the morning. The shrimp does all the work for the goby as long as it stays in physical contact with the goby - usually antennae to tail. Also the popping is a joke - it sounds no louder than a cap pistol and none of the fish or crabs that the pistol pops off at have been effected by the effort to date (the pistol is not very big though). It is one of the most enjoyable interactions I have ever seen in a tank and my live rock is on the glass bottom so the tunneling has not resulted in any cave in issues at all so maybe you want to hold on to at least one and see if you can bond it up with a goby? The only issue I have had is that it may have clipped my skunk cleaner's tail off (different post).

i believe the pistol you have is different then the pistol patriot is talking about.
but i to have this pair and i can agree it is awesome

bill we traded xenis some time ago. this is jay. if you are looking to sell, i'll buy one from you for a reasonable price.

let me know.

jay