• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Placement of probes?

Was wondering where everyone puts their probes? I have a ph, temp, and orp i'm setting up and wanted to know if i can just lay them on bottom of sump, or if i should build a rack for them so their off bottom and not touching anything?

mikem

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I keep mine in my sump. I don't think the ORP and the PH probe are supposed to be emerged under the water. I think the top inch is supposed to be out of the water.

mikem

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I don't think it will matter, unless the temp probe is too close to a pump which might give a false reading, due to pumps heating up your sump water.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Premium Aquatics Group Buy, Item number ZM-MS-1, $6.95

clips.jpg

You get an assortment of clips to hook to the suction cups.

Make sure you mention my name….I know the group buy manager. ;D

pgordemer

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Generally with most controllers, the temp probe acts as a ground reference. So you should have at least 12 inches distance away from PH probes/ORP Probes.

PH Probes generally should not be submerged past with the cable connection on the top of the probe unless the word submersable is printed on the side of the probe. (I have never seen one below $80 that was submersable)

redfishbluefish said:
Premium Aquatics Group Buy, Item number ZM-MS-1, $6.95

clips.jpg

You get an assortment of clips to hook to the suction cups.

Make sure you mention my name….I know the group buy manager. ;D

If i mention your name that guy might charge me double! HAHAHA

pgordemer said:
Generally with most controllers, the temp probe acts as a ground reference. So you should have at least 12 inches distance away from PH probes/ORP Probes.

PH Probes generally should not be submerged past with the cable connection on the top of the probe unless the word submersable is printed on the side of the probe. (I have never seen one below $80 that was submersable)

So just keep the temp probe a foot away from the others, got ya