• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Plate Coral

I was moving some stuff in my tank the other day and accidentally hit my plate coral with some live rock now it seems to be dying on the side i hit with the rock. my question is will it get better or will it die off entirely. Second will it harm anything if it does die?

You could frag off the part that is dying if you are that concerned but it should recover. There shouldn't be ill effects from a die off. Hopefully that won't happen and have to start a coral skeleton graveyard.

It should be okay just keep an eye on it, but keep an eye on it. If your coral likes where it is, the tissue may grow back over where it died off. If your die off starts spreading more, frag it (like calaxa said).

Get some fragging pliers (aka bonecutters). Make sure it is clean. In a pinch, you could use hardware tools as substitute (but make sure it is clean, bleach, alcohol, rinse thoroughly, etc.).

Make a quick, decisive cut at the point you want. The cutting area will depend on what your goal is.

To "save" the healthy portion, cut away only the damaged area.
To try to get two frags, make the cut evenly so that the damaged area has fair amount of healthy coral.

Can just put back into display. Can mount onto rubble rock/plug using epoxy/cyanoacrylate gel (krazy glue or equivalent). Can put in sump/refuge if lighting is decent.

Heres a couple of pics of my dying plate coral thought it had stopped dying but now it looks to be about gone. The first pic is when it first started dying the second was taken today.
DSC00256.jpg

DSC00275.jpg

calaxa said:
Get the dremel and pliers out and frag what you can.

This is same coral? The colors are so vastly different.
ooh, i know, i know!

2nd pic looks like it was taken with a flash (which has a rough spectrum of 5500K), the first one was tank lighting with some blue supplementation, (higher spectrum vs the warm tones of 5500K)

.......and the plate looks better now!