• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Please Help Classroom Projects

I have challenged my students to design a "nitrate reduction" system. Otherwise known to us as an algae scrubber. They are struggling a bit. I don't show them DIY videos because I don't want them to just copy from the video. So I thought I would show them failed or inadequate designs that they would work together to improve. If anyone has an unused DIY that fits this description and would like to donate or loan that would be great. Pictures or video might help as well.

Projects should be tool friendly and made of household material since kids are 12 years old. Any DIY will do since I will need new challenges to add for future assignments.

Thanks

DYIguy

NJRC Member
Don't think I have pics- I Might have saved the box, etc- the design I took from a youtube video- an acrylic box 5 sided- open on one side, set against the side of the tank- holes drilled in top, plastic knitting sheet hung inside with airstone and led light outside the tank-

Yes that's the one I have been trying to lead the kids to come up with but they are having a hard time getting there. I found one made using a take out food container. If anyone has a "first attempt" that is not needed anymore, I can use it as a sample students can work to improve its design.

DYIguy

NJRC Member
I'll see what parts I still have. I can either take pics or mail you what I have, I think the youtube did use some sort of container- I used leftover black acrylic

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
How about fish traps or brine shrimp hatchery? I have posted both in DIY forum.

I think it's mostly a struggle because they don't have a reference. But if i give them the directions then it is not much of an engineering design project. So I think the best way would be to give them one that they need to figure out how to make better.

Madreefer will check out fish traps and shrimp hatchery. Thanks