• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Please help me with my GHA

I’m really starting to get annoyed with my GHA problem since it encroaches on my frags and I am constantly cleaning off with a brush. It’s in the sandbed as well as all over the rocks. I have been sucking out every week and recently using a vacuum which takes out a lot. But once I’m done it seems like I missed so many spots. I am so frustrated. I have tried Flux rx no luck. I feed live phyto. I have Chaeto my nitrates are reading 7 but I’m sure they are a little higher due to the GHA and my phosphates read 0 which I know are not good but what gives. I have plenty of algae eating fish as well as a CUC which includes an emerald crab, tuxedo urchin, many snails of all types. What has worked for you guys. This has been an ongoing battle for months and I am really getting frustrated since all of my efforts have not done a thing. I am trying to stay clear of chemicals like Vibrant but considering peroxide. Since that seems to work when I dip. Only thing is I know peroxide is a Band aid fix but I really need this GHA gone! Please any advice what worked for you and didn’t kill your corals. Thanks in advance

diana a

Staff member
NJRC Member
ReefRX and Flux are for bryopsis. When you brush clean the rock out of the tank, I would use a syringe with peroxide onto the newly cleaned area. Don't let the peroxide get on the corals (Zoas don't mind it). Is the tank near a window?

Tank is in basement and not near any windows. 2 treatments of Fluconazole and nothing. It may have killed a little but nothing like the results I’ve seen other have. Maybe I should up the dose of fluconazole?

DYIguy

NJRC Member
ReefRX and Flux are for bryopsis. When you brush clean the rock out of the tank, I would use a syringe with peroxide onto the newly cleaned area. Don't let the peroxide get on the corals (Zoas don't mind it). Is the tank near a window?
Peroxide will also kill any coralline you have, so be careful with it

Peroxide will also kill any coralline you have, so be careful with it
Yeah I saw that first hand. I sprayed one of the rocks with peroxide and the coralline was super bright red for a day or two then gone. I really don’t want to use peroxide but I’m at a loss since nothing seems to be working I know I need to be patient but I didn’t thing GHA would be so hard to get rid of.

DYIguy

NJRC Member
Ever think about getting a molly and acclimating it- I've read they love GHA and will destroy it

The Petco near me has them already acclimated but I don’t think 1 will do anything in a 120 gallon tank and I don’t want to add a bunch of those. I guess I can always try 1, but I won’t hold my breath since my lawnmower Blenny, yellow tang, Foxface, or 2 barred rabbit fish don’t touch it.

DYIguy

NJRC Member
The Petco near me has them already acclimated but I don’t think 1 will do anything in a 120 gallon tank and I don’t want to add a bunch of those. I guess I can always try 1, but I won’t hold my breath since my lawnmower Blenny, yellow tang, Foxface, or 2 barred rabbit fish don’t touch it.
Maybe try a couple/few and give them away later- many of us have some gha

Adam L

NJRC Member
More urchins. Get some purple pincushions. I have two pincushions and two tuxedos in my 130 gallon. pincishions finally did the job. Two tuxedos weren’t cutting it. Wiped out the gha in like 2 weeks.

I have one pincushion right now he’s pretty small about the size of a quarter. maybe I’ll grab another larger one. He did eat all the coralline algae on the rocks. Funny thing today I was vacuuming up the hair algae and my urchin was covered in it. Had to suck it off of him.
Brick Petcos urchins have been coming in tiny

I'm scared of all that flux rx, chemi clean, fluconizal style stuff. Did you see what ended up happening to the makers of vibrant ? They're screwed. I'm big on bacteria, live rock, all the stuff you can't see. That stuff is the difference between a successful, and a disaster
"Problem" tank.

All of those antibiotic esque products just annihilate your "biomes". I set up a frag tank a few months ago and though it was plumbed into my display, I had an explosion of algae. I ended up going to the fish store and buying every single Mexican turbo they had. That worked. If you're lucky and the store likes you, they'll hook you up. I think I bought 20 and only paid for 12

I hear ya. I’m not big on chemicals either. I’ve heard fluconazole not really that bad for a tank and I can say the 2 doses I did had no I’ll effect but didn’t fix my algae problem. I think I’m gonna pick up another urchin and a few more turbos. I want to try another sea hare since I know what killed my first one, but still contemplating

Adam L

NJRC Member
depending on size of your tank get biggest pincushions you can. My purple guy was big and he munched on most of it.

120 gallon so I guess my one little guy is def. not enough. I have plenty of other CUC members but I think another pincushion is a good idea

Jamie S

NJRC Member
I’m dealing with the same thing now. I vacuumed all the detritus out of my sump and also realized my t5 bulbs were a year and a half old so I replaced them. My GHA took off after I dosed chemiclean last month. I got 2 purple pincushions and while they do a good job there’s just too much in my 125. I started daily dosing of microbacter7 and I think I’m starting to see a difference along with manual daily plucking. I just ordered flux rx and debating using it because I know that the chemiclean effected my biome already and I don’t want to add additional stress to the biome. Like you my NO3 is around 10 and 0 PO4. I feel your pain.