• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Plexiglass or egg crate?

So I hadn’t read this till now and just did my rockwork last night. Go figure lol. I had put the sand in the bottom then the rock. Is it worth it at this point to siphon out the 1-1/2” of sand, take out the rock, put something else down then put everything back with sand around the rock instead of under it? I had scaled back on the sand under the rock so that it was only about ½ to ¾” deep. I plan on eventually siphoning out down to that level once the cycle gets going but wanted some extra sand in there to start.

Thoughts?

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Do you are any diggers / miners?

I don’t think I’d bother. If you only have ½ - ¾ inches of sand under the rock, I don’t think it’s going to go anywhere.

I put mine on starboard. No fish yet right? I would just to be safer, shift the sand around so that the rocks maybe are closer to the glass. I wouldn't worry about being perfect but if you can get it so that no fish will get under the rock I would do it. Don't worry that you didn't put down a layer on the glass.....I did it because I am realllllllllly unlucky. I also wanted to get digging sort of fish eventually but they are all jumpers so have skipped them so far.