• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Plumbing Question

Is it OK to glue threaded (NPT) connections? I got some threaded unions when I wanted slip, and it seems like it would be more secure and leakproof if it was glued.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I would think you'd be asking for trouble doing that... If you don't have glue in all of the threads you're going to get a leak somewhere and then you won't be able to tighten it. Also, there's probably only so much you can tighten it before the glue would set. You'll be ok with the threaded unions. You may even find you like them better than the slip!

I apply plumbers tape, it seals them well
teflon_tape.jpg

gluing won't hurt anything though.

Brian

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
FWIW I use the teflon tape on my skimmer pump and return pump. I haven't had any leak issues with it. Just be sure to wrap the tape in such a way that when you thread it, it doesn't start to unravel.

Good Luck!

That glue dryes fast and I would be afraid of not getting it threaded all the way before the glue will dry on you! I used teflon on all my threaded fittings and it worked great EXCEPT when you overtighten it! (They will crack!) :0

I use Teflon tape on everything that has threads.

It's great stuff and you can always unscrew the fitting and re-tape it again if needed.

Carlo

mikem

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
The Teflon glop you are speaking of is the best. It is not a glue, just Teflon tape in a liquid form. It fills the gaps better and the threads screw on easier.

mikem

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Yes Carlo it is. It's right next to the pipe dope. Don't get them mixed up. It says liquid Teflon tape.

Brian

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Does that "glop" (I like that word!) come off the threads easily? Is it permanent?

mikem

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Yes it comes off the treads with a rag. If you mean does it harden, then no. If I remember, I'll bring a thing of it to the meeting.

mikem said:
Yes Carlo it is. It's right next to the pipe dope. Don't get them mixed up. It says liquid Teflon tape.

Talk about being "tunnel visioned". I'm in the pipe isles way more then I want to be and have never seen it. When I make a run there today it will probably reach out and slap me silly. :)

Carlo

It's kind of messy and it never dries. I'm wearing gloves next time I ahve to use it. I bought it because the Sequence Dart pump instructions specifically say to use it rather than teflon tape.