• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Pod collecting

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
Anyone want to go pod collecting this Sat?
I'm in Lakewood and not sure wherever can go.

DYIguy

NJRC Member
Check the tide charts, you need to go when the tide is low, places with rock jetties, and when you don't have to pay lol

You can walk/bike into sandy hook or you can park for free at ocean grove. Just be prepared to pay to get on the beach after 9am.

Walk out to the rocks and grab hands full of sea lettuce and mussels attached to the rocks and put into your bucket. You will see thousands of pods when you rip out the clumps. Probably catch little crabs too which are also in my sump. Once you have enough put something in bucket like a piece of cardboard they will gravitate to the cardboard. Then you just put cardboard in another bucket with saltwater and shake them off. You can also use a net to catch the swimmers.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
Walk out to the rocks and grab hands full of sea lettuce and mussels attached to the rocks and put into your bucket. You will see thousands of pods when you rip out the clumps. Probably catch little crabs too which are also in my sump. Once you have enough put something in bucket like a piece of cardboard they will gravitate to the cardboard. Then you just put cardboard in another bucket with saltwater and shake them off. You can also use a net to catch the swimmers.
Thanks