• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Pods

DYIguy

NJRC Member
I know that they are necessary food for some fish, I find that it's great to have them in the tank when introducing many fish, and even after getting the fish to take to frozen and flakes it's nice to have them as a supplement (also part of the cuc). I noticed that my fish haven't been picking at the rocks/ sand as much lately and want to add, hopefully keep a population up- there are so many kinds- some sell multiple variety mixes- I've read that apocyclops/apex are the best to get established. Any thoughts, recommendations appreciated- also for suppliers- I've been buying on ebay

momof6kids

NJRC Member
I ordered the Tiger pods through Saltwater Aquariums on Cyber Monday. They had a sale I couldn't pass up on. But, I still haven't received them. In the past I have ordered their Ecopods 4 pack special and been very happy.

horseplay

NJRC Member
I have pods and if you take some sand or rock from my tank you will have them also. Honestly I do not understand why people continue to buy pods. I can see you need an initial population. When I shine a flashlight on the tank at night I see pods all over the place.

I also have a mandarin that hunts for pods all day.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
I have pods and if you take some sand or rock from my tank you will have them also. Honestly I do not understand why people continue to buy pods. I can see you need an initial population. When I shine a flashlight on the tank at night I see pods all over the place.

I also have a mandarin that hunts for pods all day.
Joe, I never see pods in my tank. I seeded a few times but stopped as I guess they are being consumed quickly.
Also, same with asternia stars, never saw any in DT and now found a few in 30g. I used some rock from my tank and dry rock from another reefer.

horseplay

NJRC Member
Mark - come get some rocks from my tank next time you're close. I will put some pebbles in the sump in case someone needs some. There are different pods. I am not sure if the tiger pods are the same as the pods in my tank and whether they survive in our tanks. I had put a bottle of tiger pods (it was $10 at reefapalooza so I tried) but I never see a boom of tiger pods in my tank. I think they're all goners. The several varieties I have in my tank I have had for years.

DYIguy

NJRC Member
Mark - come get some rocks from my tank next time you're close. I will put some pebbles in the sump in case someone needs some. There are different pods. I am not sure if the tiger pods are the same as the pods in my tank and whether they survive in our tanks. I had put a bottle of tiger pods (it was $10 at reefapalooza so I tried) but I never see a boom of tiger pods in my tank. I think they're all goners. The several varieties I have in my tank I have had for years.
I think apocyclops/ apex are the only copepods that breed in warm water along with the larger amphipods

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
We have done cultures of tiger pods in the past and we do some brine shrimp as well for some extra food. Very easy to setup and a bottle can last you a long time.

I noticed my mandarin moving very slowly and looking a bit thin the other day. I was looking into pods as well. Always seemed to have a ton in the tank but don't see them as much since adding the mandarin.

DYIguy

NJRC Member
Just got my pods from Deans on ebay- looks like he included some phyto- and a good count

Attachments

• deans.jpg
    deans.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 5
  • apex.jpg
    apex.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 5
  • apo.jpg
    apo.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 5

DYIguy

NJRC Member
I noticed my mandarin moving very slowly and looking a bit thin the other day. I was looking into pods as well. Always seemed to have a ton in the tank but don't see them as much since adding the mandarin.
My Canary blenny lets me know how good my population of pods is- although it eats both flakes and frozen it picks at rocks all day- not so much lately. All my fish eat flakes and frozen but I like to keep pods in the tank- adding some tonight after lights out

DYIguy

NJRC Member
My canary is back picking at rocks and my yellow watchman is also sifting some gravel- added some to the sump- will see how the population holds up