• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Poll: best type of overflow

HOFER Gurgle buster
Durso
Standpipe

What is your preference?

I think I may make a HOFER since it's fairly easy to make and has been known to be the most silent. the only problem is the possibility of clogging.

Calfo overflows with external durso standpipes!!!
Quiet, full surface tension, you get to use the whole footprint of the tanks...
Many pros, very few cons!!!

some lucky people get the choice....the tank is pre-drilled. calfo style with herbie method? awesome emergency backup system.

my only 3 choices are above currently.

i agree with the coast to coast - i believe jimroth has that style of tank.

evo - what happened with customkings?

custom king was not necessarily "available". i will not speak negative since he is obviously good at what he does. some things in life aren't always perfect so unfortunately i didn't catch him at the right time.

evoIX said:
some lucky people get the choice....the tank is pre-drilled. calfo style with herbie method? awesome emergency backup system.

my only 3 choices are above currently.

You can just block off the pre drilled holes or use them for a closed loop. Drill the tank yourself wherever you want. Trust me get it the way you want before you set it up or you'll regret it big time.

How about a stockman standpipe? it's like a modified standard standpipe. It's been on the tank for almost 4 years now and only had to clean it once because I don't like to clean!

pipe1.jpg

pipe6.jpg

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=535632&perpage=25&pagenumber=19

no complaints for glass holes. never heard any complains so far.

merv a little confused about the bell but i'll see if i can replicate it. i go to HD since there's two in my direct area. think a lowes isn't too far away.

evoIX said:
;D wanted you to chime in cause i remember your build/modified drain pipe. is it fairly silent merv?

the most silent of all the ones I've tried- the only noise I hear is the cascade of the water going down in the sump.