• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Polyp trouble

Help. So the last few days my orange zoas have not seemed to be opening like they used to. From what I see today there is something growing or a film around the one side. They do open somewhat but never all at once.. 2nd shot is one that the neck is growing long and fat, is this normal or does it just need a higher light space. Both are in the tank for 2 months now and nitrates are 0, PO4 is .01. Trimming the fuge back to keep it a little less clean but always organic matter and pods in there. Both have grown new polyps over the time here too.

Only change was adding the Flasher Wrasse.

Also there is what I thought was a part of a polyp, but its a different form. Hitch hiker??

20190317_191701.jpg
20190317_193735.jpg
20190317_191745.jpg

20190317_194200.jpg

diana a

Staff member
NJRC Member
Can you take it out and dip it in CoralRX or Bayer? I have no idea what is growing on it. BTW if your nitrates are 0, PO4 is .01, that is too low for any tank. Also zoas like dirty water.

Yes I can remove it as its on a small rock. All the zoas were mounted that way so they will only cover that rock. Ill do a dip now.

As to the levels, I am working on trimming back the fuge until I see a increase. I took out about 2 oz of new growth on Thurs and the levels have not rose. So tomorrow on my waterchange I was going to remove more sea lettuce.

As to feeding I feed flake one day and frozen nano blend the next day. I have Coral Frenzy and either spot or broadcast feed the tank once a week.