• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Possible to keep detritus off barebottom?

So this is 1 of the challanges im facing is a build up of detritus on my barebottom tank. Is it possible to keep the bottom 99% clean? Some of the things im doing to defeat this problem is Im running 1 Vortech MP40 and 1 Korelia4 behind the rocks I will be getting another Vortech for more flow to help solve this problem. I have a 90g 48x24x18 with corner overflow. Any Opinions to help the problem are most welcome thanks

Yeah alot of flow. A current from one end and then when that stops a current from the other end to get the backsides of the rocks your first current couldn't get. That drove me nuts in my 120 but I finally got it to work.

You think 2 vortechs mp40 is enough to control it think I would need a few power heads behind the rocks in tank? My aquascape is centered

I think so. I'd set up the voetech's then see if there's any dead spots. If there is i'd use a cheap wave strip and some maxi jet's. The con with the vortech is that you can't angle them

I went bare bottom for 15 years ???. I don't know why I waited to go to a sand bottom. Love it. And it looks great too.

I have all bare bottom tanks, I feel it tends to focus more attention to the rock work and inhabitants. As for detritus, I take a tube and hose and siphon it directly into the sump, that has sand, that way you save all the little critters, micro stars, baby snails, ect.

does your tank have returns that are drilled thru the back wall?? if so you could take one of them and plumb it behind the rocks into a spraybar pointed on an angle towards the glass....