• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Possibly dead Green Leather Toadstool

I've been reading throught the old topics trying to figure out if my Green leather is dead or going through one of its "i'm not coming out" periods.
My tank will be a year old this November (92g corner) and I got this leather from "redfish/bluefish" back in December and it has thrived and grown in my tank up until the beginning of the summer season my first.
The polyps initally were coming ouy infrequesntly and then it seems like it was shrinking in size, I thought it was infected so i gave it a Lugol's dip and it seem like it reacted better afterwards for a short period (3 weeks).
Now as of the last 2 weeks there has been no polyp exrtension, it has shrunken considerably and it has this gray look to it.
I've read that some have had it show no polyp extension for weeks and then its back, others say that id is si firm give it time.
I havent touched it for firmness which i will do today when i get home. But if i find that it is mushy what should i do with it? I do not have a QT so do i place it in a bucket or is it too late for that?

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
What’s the poop with the other corals in your tank? Are they showing any changes? What flow and light does the leather receive?

Mom has grown to about 10 – 12 inches across and ready for another slice and dice. If your guy doesn’t make it, I’ll save a good size slice for you.

Here’s Mom:

IMG_4041.jpg

WOW :eek:, Mom is a beauty, thanks for the offer.

The other corals (hammers, frogspawn,hairy mushroom, zoas, Kenya's, green-slimers,green monti & Idaho grape, Duncan) are all doing great. The Hairy mushroom which was another one i bought from you is now a threesome. I got one head of Duncan from James and it now has 6 heads and counting, same for some Armor of God zoas (that's what James told me they were.
I had the Toad in medium/low lighting and in medium water flow. I did re-scape about a month and a half ago but it was behaving inconsistent prior to that time. I moved the Kenya's which were a little close to the other side of the tank. But I tried to maintain the same level and lighting that it had previously liked.
I took it out of the tank last night and touched it and it still felt hard to the touch and not mushy but it is very discolored (grayish). I'm thinking that since I don't have a chiller when the heat of the summer really took hold and the temp. in the tank got as high as 84 it affected it more than the other corals.

My cabbage turns gray all the time sometimes for days 3-4-5. Then it gets slimy sheds it's skin, and back to normal it goes. Sometimes its fully open for weeks. Sometimes it does this every other day.
However this is just my experience.

where is it positioned in your tank next to frogspawn or hammer? In a 92 gal. you should have plenty of space between. when I do a mixed tank I put leathers to one side and stingers to the other.