• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Potter Angel

Hi, I recently purchase one and was wondering if anyone else have any experience with this beautiful fish? I currently have it in QT in a 15gl fill with 10gl with a heater a maxijet1200 a small 3lb piece of live rock, small pvc pipe, a sponge seed from my 75gl, and a freshwater light. I tried putting some pellets and flakes but no go. I read up and know these are extremely picky eater and very hard to keep. I would put it in my 75gl but saw it twitches a few times and not sure if it has ich or not. It's still fat and pick on the glass and rock alot.

How long have you had the fish in QT?
Did you ask the seller to feed it before you brought it home? Did it eat at the store?
Are you using any medications in the QT tank?
If it was eating at the store, the first thing I would do is try to feed it what it ate at the store. If that doesn't work, my second attempt would be live food- every dwarf angel I have ever had has eaten live brine when it is offered. It is easy to hatch live brine, and while not a good primary diet, it can help you get a finicky fish to start eating.
I would also suggest adding nori, if you have not already.

Thanks for the tip, gonna pick up some brines shrimp at Absolutely Fish on the way home. I made my own frozen food mix with mysis and selcon. I will try that a little tonight also. No medication yet. I will wait a few more days to see if there's anymore sign of disease.

Id try mysis or brine, put a few drops of garlic in it if he seems picky. Watch him around your corals, those dwarfs r hit or miss with nippin polyps

i had one for years, i named him colonel potter. he ate well, didn't bother corals at all, but would not tolerate any new tank mates.

He will probably the last addition to my tank. I drop mysis, flakes and pellets today. He ate them all but half of the time he spit back out the flakes. Hes pretty picky but hopefully he picks up when's dinner time. I also bough brine shrimp that I'll need to hatch. The only thing that's worrying is I see him scratching against the rock which is prime example of ich. Should I wait out before medicating with more visible sign of ich or should I do a preemptive attack. I also don't want him to loose his appetite due to the medication. Which is will be cupramine and prazipro.

Try gel food smeared on a rock or try a fresh clam on the half shell. It mimicks their natural instinct to pick at the rockwork. They typically won't feed from the water column in the begining.

It was too late yesteday, light was out for a few hrs when I tried to put it in. I decided to take it out and will try again when I get home. I just didn't want it sitting there over night and pollute the water. He seem to be taking the flakes and pellets ok I added some more last night and went and check on this morning and it was gone. Either that or it's stuck in the sponge but hopefully he picks on it anyway. Also I added some nori but he hasn't taken to it yet. Still nervous if he has ich or not. I'll watch him tonight to see if he continue to twitch or scratches against the rock.

If he's scratching against rocks then has some kind of parasite. It could be flukes or ich. I wouldn't take the chance and would treat with both cuppramine and prazi. I qt all new fish for minimal 4-5 weeks and treat with both meds wether they show signs of a parasite or not. Its just not worth the aggravation or potential losses by getting a new parasite introduced into your DT.