• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Powder Blue Gone

I am sorry to hear about your loss. About seven years ago I started feeding my fish garlic.

When I first started I bought some garlic oil and soaked the food in it. Then I started crushing cloves and using a little of the juice and a little of the garlic itself in my homemade food cakes. I have not lost a single fish to velvet or ich since then. I have read some information about it somewhere and it basically stated that garlic was as good for out pets as it is for us. Maybe I have just been lucky....Maybe there is some truth to it. I have been doing it and it works for me so I don't plan on quiting.

Just thought I would share this with you.

if COL stands for fan/cooling then

If Temp < 76.0 Then HET ON
If Temp > 78.0 Then HET OFF
If Temp < 76.0 Then COL ON
If Temp > 78.0 Then COL OFF

doesn't really make sense. you're heater and fan will be on/off at the same time. you don't want your fan to go on below 76.0. a better idea would be to have the following:

If Temp > 78.5 Then COL ON
If Temp < 78.0 Then COL OFF

also you might want to consider lowering the temp at which you turn off your lights as well as staggering them, for example:

If Temp > 82.0 Then LT1 OFF
If Temp > 83.0 Then LT2 OFF

Jase, I've found garlic to be great also. It helps improve the immune system in the fish just like humans and other animals. It won't cure ich in itself but can help to have happier fish and happy fish are less prone to be stressed out. A less stressed fish can fight the parasite (or kope) better.

Kent and Seachem both make good garlic juice products that you can soak the food in but nothing is as good as freshly crushed cloves like you are doing. Remember if you don't introduce any new parasites into the system and can keep the present ich under control for 11 months or so it will die off. So garlic can definitely help but not be a "cure" in itself.

Carlo

Ed said:
Here is my program Chris. Carlo I'll let you know. When I'm ready.

LT1&-A01
LT2$-A02
PM1#-A03
PM2#-A04
HET%-A05
COL%-A06
OZN&-A07
CO2&-A08
ALM&-A09

If Time > 13:10 Then LT1 ON
If Time > 22:00 Then LT1 OFF
If Time > 13:00 Then LT2 ON
If Time > 22:00 Then LT2 OFF
If Time > 10:58 Then PM1 ON
If Time > 23:00 Then PM1 OFF
If Temp < 76.0 Then COL ON
If Temp > 78.0 Then COL OFF
If Temp > 84.0 Then LT1 OFF
If Temp > 84.0 Then LT2 OFF
If ORP < 365 Then OZN ON
If ORP > 385 Then OZN OFF
If pH > 08.45 Then CO2 ON
If pH < 08.35 Then CO2 OFF
If Time > 00:00 Then ALM OFF
If pH > 08.50 Then ALM ON
If pH < 08.00 Then ALM ON
If ORP > 450 Then ALM ON
If ORP < 300 Then ALM ON
If Temp < 75.0 Then ALM ON
If Temp > 78.0 Then ALM ON

Ed you have the heater coming on at below 76 and going off at above 78 degrees. You also have your cooling doing the exact same thing!

I think you want to change these to:
If Temp < 77.7 Then HET ON
If Temp > 78.3 Then COL ON
If Temp < 78.0 Then COL OFF

Or something similar to that. I used to run mine similar but up a few degrees. Where you are targeting 78 I targetted 81 which many people would consider a little too hot but I think is closer to real reef temps. This is what I ran:
If Temp < 80.7 Then HET ON
If Temp > 81.0 Then HET OFF
If Temp > 81.3 Then COL ON
If Temp < 81.0 Then COL OFF

Anyway, I hope this helps,

Carlo

Edwardw771

NJRC Member
Sorry guys I forgot to mention that both HET and COL are two 300 Watt heaters.
I'll look to adjust the program with your recomendations. I need to run a power cable down stairs to get the fan on the sump to be controlled by the AC3.

Ed said:
Sorry guys I forgot to mention that both HET and COL are two 300 Watt heaters.
I'll look to adjust the program with your recommendations. I need to run a power cable down stairs to get the fan on the sump to be controlled by the AC3.

What do you mean both HET and COL are 2 heaters? HET should be your heaters and COL should be fans or chillers. If you have heater on COL then you are running your heaters basically all the time.

Or did I just read what you typed incorrectly?

Carlo

Ed said:
I Set the temp on off to be same for HET and COL.
Making them both heaters. Does that make sence.

I think I got ya but I wouldn't do that if I were you. It's to confusing and then you can't control a fan or chiller easily that way. Just plug your two heaters into the same outlet on the DC8 using an adapter or extension cord with multiple outlets on it. This will save you a DC8 outlet anyway.

I was thinking you could also add a couple of lines (for safety) to turn your lights off if the temp gets to hot.

Carlo