• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Powder blue tang parasite identification

Hey all,

i habe a powder blue tang that’s been in the tank for about a month now. He showed signs of ich in the past that have gone away, but today I came home and found him covered in what looks like lint or some sort or irregular spots. He’s eating well and swimming and breathing normally. Any idea what this is and how to treat it? I’ve searched high and low and can’t find anything online that matches the specific look of what’s on the fish.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Tank parameters:

75 Gallon
Temp-78.3
PH-8.2
Salinity-1.024
Nitrates-3.23
Phosphate .33
Alkalinity-7.2

Attachments

• FE6F87AC-6CB7-4E10-AB48-9650D8AAF9AD.jpeg
    FE6F87AC-6CB7-4E10-AB48-9650D8AAF9AD.jpeg
    188.2 KB · Views: 13
  • C20889C2-6411-4D4F-AAA0-DAE7BD33D47F.jpeg
    C20889C2-6411-4D4F-AAA0-DAE7BD33D47F.jpeg
    706 KB · Views: 11
  • FBD9AD8F-F1B5-46EC-9D2C-2FEF8C3E3024.png
    FBD9AD8F-F1B5-46EC-9D2C-2FEF8C3E3024.png
    7.9 MB · Views: 12
  • FBF9ED7A-837A-4A8B-8881-C316CB2565A4.jpeg
    FBF9ED7A-837A-4A8B-8881-C316CB2565A4.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 13

diana a

Staff member
NJRC Member
looks like velvet. Is the fish in a QT? Have you treated with copper yet?

diana a

Staff member
NJRC Member
So the fish is in the DT? If yes, then you will need to QT and treat the other fish too.

get ready to pick up more tanks tomorrow if your other fish display symptoms. velvet kills very quickly.

maybe treat the main display if you don't have corals or you can take them out if possible

diana a

Staff member
NJRC Member
Copper is the best choice, but only if you have a treatment tank. Chloroquine, if you can get some quickly, is an option, but it will kill any invertebrates and algae...but it can be dosed in your DT. No UV on the QT. If you are treating with CP in the DT, it must be turned off during CP treatment. Don't use any carbon or other chemical filtrates. I would run a skimmer if you have one....remove the collection cup so it doesn't trap anything - this helps with continued oxygenation.

You can not treat with copper in the DT since it will get absorbed into the rocks and sand.

Are the fish breathing rapidly?

that's a tough fish to keep. surprised you were able to have him so long without an issue. I had to treat my whole tank when I got mine. you might be better off getting rid of him because it's not going to be easy to get him back in your main without treating it. treating your display creates a host of problems and not treating your display creates even more problems.
let me know if you want to let him go I can pick him up tomorrow if he makes it through the night.

Last edited:
The fish seems to be doing well in QT. all of the other fish appear to be doing fine, I have a lot of coral in the DT. None of the fish appear to be breathing rapidly. Hopefully tomorrow morning will bring good news!!!

erics210

NJRC Member
how big of a tank will he need? I have a 30 gallon you can have to set up a bigger QT.
Also have copper API test kit if needed.
LMK text me

The fish seems to be doing well in QT. all of the other fish appear to be doing fine, I have a lot of coral in the DT. None of the fish appear to be breathing rapidly. Hopefully tomorrow morning will bring good news!!!
I don't think you'll be able to put that fish back in the display without a fallow period and running qt on all your fish. you'll have to do the qt at least 10 feet apart, in different rooms is preferable. ich and other things seem to travel through moist air.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Looks like you're a little over an hour away, but if you want to make the trip, I have a 55 with metal stand that you can have. I'm in Sayreville. Note, just the tank and stand. I'll throw in PVC pipe pieces if you wish.

1642857555669.png

I've got a couple different variations of these:

1642857610699.png