• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Powder Brown Tang swimming if front of the powerhead

So I purchased a Powder Brown Tang over the weekend at a store that will remain nameless at this point. I had setup a QT earlier in the week as I was preparing to add to my reef tank. At the store as was between a Kole tang and the Powder Brown. I went with the Powder Brown because he was eating and the Kole was not. Once i got the tang home got him into the QT and feed him and he ate. My initial thoughts were just to observe and see if any issues presented themselves. Two days ago the fish started to look botchy on the body but no white spots. I started prazipro and it is seeming to be possibly getting worse. The Powder Brown now is only swimming in front of the powerhead and now I'm thinking it may be velvet. So the main question is how long to wait after using carbon to remove the prazipro can I start Copper. Thanks in advance for any advise.

Humblefish

NJRC Member
Article Contributor
It sounds like you may be dealing with velvet here, and if so time is of the essence. Therefore, I would combine copper with Prazipro. The water may turn a little cloudy (bacterial bloom), but you can compensate for that by pointing a powerhead towards the surface of the water in order to create more gas exchange/draw in more oxygen.

I would also give the fish a 5 min FW dip + 90 bath using Rally/acriflavine, as outlined here: Velvet (Amyloodinium ocellatum)

Quick update: The tang didn't make it. I tried everything I could. just was not able to access the RX meds... Thanks for the help Humblefish