• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Power compacts ????

??? sorry i am very new at this forum thing. i have a 29g tank, 25lbs of live rock and probably 15lbs of crushed coral(i know crushed coral is no good cause of nitrates) i am switching to a 36 bow (and will be using fine sand) because it has the same 30" width and i can use my same PC light. i am running(is this a bad idea), i also have a powerhead thats running at about 100gph and aquaclear 60 with only live rock rubble in it(just using it for flow) and a fluval 304(running carbon, the foam, and those cylinder ceramic tubes/ would i be better to i remove the foam, and ceramic tubes like i heard, i have heard that FLUVAL's are nitrate factory's?) I am also running redsea Berlin airlift skimmer, which in my opinion is not working to well. i have some GSP, some ZOA's a couple of mushrooms. and a bubbletip that has been getting a feeding of 1/2" of silverside every other day. salinity is 1.026 nitrate, nitrite, ammonia, and Ph are all at regular levels......if anyone can offer some help it would be greatly appreciated.....i am happy that after spending 238947289431234 hours of forums i thankfuly found some NJ reefers thanks again for any help

1. I don't know anything about crushed coral.
2. You're probably going to want to get more live rock 1-2 lbs per gallon
3. The PC's are fine but how many watts do you have? you might want more, it depends on what you plan on keeping. T5's seem to be pretty popular these days.
4. Depending on what you want to keep coral wise you should have 10-30 times the gallons of water flow. so for a 36 gallon tank you'll want anywhere from 360 GPH to 1080 GPH.
5. take the foam and cylinder ceramic tubes out of the fluval and just use it for carbon.
6. i am not sure which protein skimmer would work for you all my research has been for large tanks
7. welcome to the club....beware of the group buys....they are addictive

I can't really comment on all of you questions but I have a 90 that I set up. I took down my 55 and used the same filters and skimmer. I have a AquaC Remora w/ Mag 3. It is said to be able to be used up to a 120 gallon tank. It's working fine for me. I too have small pieces of LR in my filters. I have PC's on it and it ssems to be fine. I don't have any really needy corals. The PC really supprized me with the amount or coraline it produced, of coarse it took longer then a MH would.