• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Power Head

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
Since I started adding coarl to the seahorse tank I noticed the HOB flow is not enough for them; sinularia type coral. They are flopped over but extended.
I was going to add a nano powerhead for the coral and saw this 160 GPH; tank is 20g. What are thoughts on adding a PH as I don't want to hurt the seahorses.

I am far from a seahorse expert but maybe it would be better to add multiple weak powerheads as opposed to 1 stronger one? Depending on the type of powerhead I normally try to make the intake face the glass, so it doesn't suck anything swimming by.

Love sea horses. Been reading a ton in prep for future tank. The references I have come across. Is that the ponies have been labeled as much poorer swimmers and much more delicate than has been reported for decades. I even watched several videos. Showing them holding on actually deliberately facing a power head and leaning forward. Articles even claiming that there are greater problems from not enough flow do to these fears that stagnant areas of the tank can cause greater problems like nutrient export issues and disease. Now with all that said... there is no way I can say this loud enough. WHAT THE HECK DO I KNOW. Hahaha. But there is excellent reference material on this forum now and what appears to be some pretty knowledgeable pony keepers as well. My view is. More smaller power heads that prevent any dead or stagnant areas is the way to go.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
I have read the articles but still being over cautious. The PH is supposed to be good for 10g but you cannot dial it down.
I figured the wide output and place on tank side in the middle to get disperse flow.
I can always return it if it's to much.

O
I have read the articles but still being over cautious. The PH is supposed to be good for 10g but you cannot dial it down.
I figured the wide output and place on tank side in the middle to get disperse flow.
I can always return it if it's to much.
or bounce it off the glass or add a flared nozzle or diffuser. I guess that’s why DC is so popular now. Can really dial them down

O

or bounce it off the glass or add a flared nozzle or diffuser. I guess that’s why DC is so popular now. Can really dial them down
Ok here is my observation from the years I’ve been keeping ponies,, the low flow talk is all crap the ponies I gave u are WC, they came from the ocean, which has a very strong current flowing 24-7-365. So as u can imagine they are very use to current and from what I’ve seen they actually like to play in it. I would go with a less powerful blower and put in corner

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
Since I started adding coarl to the seahorse tank I noticed the HOB flow is not enough for them; sinularia type coral. They are flopped over but extended.
I was going to add a nano powerhead for the coral and saw this 160 GPH; tank is 20g. What are thoughts on adding a PH as I don't want to hurt the seahorses.

That should be fine for a 10g tank

One or 2 of the nano bio cube sized powerheads would be fine. Dont blast them horizontal but up towards the surface and the overflow weir to help move detritus down to the sump. The residual flow from.them will create and up flow of water and will help keep the sanded cleaner. Heavy flow are for reefs to help with stagnant areas bc of coral growth and to also not allow the water to sit stagnant in any spot bc coral warfare toxins need to be flushed away so they dont cause major damage.

I used to have Maxi Jet 600 in my 20 gallon extra high for seahorses in addition to overflow to sump.