• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Power strip

myrjon

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I would avoid the strips(got one from amazon )was i have one and does not restart during a power outage. the plain single wifi plugs are better...

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
I don't bother with smart pugs / strips. Use heavy duty power strip with GFI.

myrjon

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Still like alexa shut tank off. And everything shuts off. Or shut items off separately ..

I never had an issue with my power Kasa power strip & power outages. @myrjon it restarts right up without any issues.

I saw how well it worked for @Sponge & I just had to have it. :p

When I was away & had my children feed the tank I was able to remotely shut off the return & skimmer. Having it turn back on automatically after say 15 minutes after feeding is very helpful. I forget at times doing it manually. Lol. I also love that you can see if the individual plug is on through the app. It even measures the power consumption. I love my Kasa power strip especially when you forgot to shut something off while cleaning (I just tell Alexa to shut it off).

Honestly if any of mine stopped working I'd buy a new one without any question.

P.S.
I am not getting paid for this plug :D :D :D

Screenshot_20201111-060616_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Last edited:
I basically use 3.
I use an individually switched strip with USB ports for most items I rarely shut down. I use the USB ports to charge my cabinet lights or emergency bubbler. Labeling plugs really helps. It also has a master switch. Search for individually switched power strip.
IMG_4120[1].JPG
I use a switched aquarium based strip that I can flip off to turn off things I want off when changing water I don't want the protein skimmer running when my water level rises in the sump.. It also has some plugs that can be programed for day or night use. I typically don't use this. Note the magnet mounted USB rechargeable light at the top of the picture. Keep strips as far away from the sump as possible and as high as practical.
IMG_4121[1].JPG
Lastly I have a backup power supply that can hold extra plugs. I use it to run a gyre pump during power outages (only lasts 6 hours but long enough to let me set up a bubbler). I also plug my ATO in it when I want it on as it is the most accessible. I don't like to keep it constantly on.
As an aside, I keep a fan on inside the cabinet and try to mount power supplies outside the cabinet with spacers where possible.

I use a heavy duty surge protector with single smart plugs attached. Some models default on, and some default off. I would use only these styles for equipment and smart plugs that default to "last known position" are reserved for lights because I have found that to not be reliable enough.

hi. if you are worried about safety, like gfi... I would look into swapping breakers if possible. some plugs come with gfi, but really that will just protect you from electrocution. I know it sounds serious but electrocution is probably the lesser danger we face with our tanks. some technology has developed and you can install circuit breakers with both gfi and afi. afi is a fire protection feature, the breaker can detect the arc signature of electrical fire and pop off.

so I'd your concerned about safety, skip the GFI plugs and go with the breaker, which I incidentally protects the entire circuit. just a note, you'll probably have up remove any GFI plugs in the circuit for the breaker to work correctly but feel free to speak to an electrician to confirm. I would also suggest going an insured and licensed electrician for the job if electrical work is just a hobby.

myrjon

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
my tank commands / alexa turn off /power head/heater/pump/skimmer..plus I grouped together main pump/skimmer/and heater on 1 command alexa turn off chris 's tank .Plus i use these all over the house ..