• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Pre-Mixed Salt Water

Looking to find a place that sell pre-mixed saltwater in warren county. I live in hardwick not too far from newton. I went to hackettstown pets and about threw up at what the guy was selling the water for. No way am I paying close to $4 a gallon!

Makes me miss what I was paying for it in California. I understand I would be paying more than I was, but damn not that much. Glad I don't have my sons tan yet, For that price I would wait another 8 months until I start my tank build and get my own RODI.

Sorry for my venting.

art13

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I was going to suggest an ro system and just doing the saltwater yourself, I paid a total of 100 for my ro/di and a 200g box of instant ocean is 40 bucks, so 20 cents a gallon per box. Even at 2 bucks a gallon, after 100 gallons you could have just got a nice ro system along with a box of salt that makes 200g. After the initial investment on the ro you might spend 30-40 bucks a year in upkeep depending on how much water you make.

I know and planned on spending the extra bit until I get my RODI next year. even if I did buy it I could not set it up until I finish building out my wife's half of the basement, which is where the RODI would get placed.
For the first 8 months of having the tank we will have to buy the RO top off and the pre mixed water.

art13

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Well, if that local shop is selling for $4 a gallon, chances are they are doing that because they either have no competition locally and can charge that much, or that's what other local shops are charging. Another possibility might be buying it off a local reefer if you can find one in your area to mix it for you. Hauling water gets old fast though.

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
I know and planned on spending the extra bit until I get my RODI next year. even if I did buy it I could not set it up until I finish building out my wife's half of the basement, which is where the RODI would get placed.
For the first 8 months of having the tank we will have to buy the RO top off and the pre mixed water.

FYI I live in an apartment and can't install my RO/DI unit. I hook it up to my sink each time I need to use it and then put it away when I am done. This might be a temp solution for you.

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
In a pinch, if your willing to sacrifice for just quantity over quality , petco does sell their own pre-mixed brand of saltwater In 5 gallon jugs

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
In a pinch, if your willing to sacrifice for just quantity over quality , petco does sell their own pre-mixed brand of saltwater In 5 gallon jugs
I have used it in the past and at the time it worked well. It looks like ocean water compared to freshly mixed