• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Pruning Chaeto

I have a 10g fuge and the chaeto has grow out to almost completely covering it with my pumps in there. How much do I prune? It's been in there since december when I set everything up. TIA, Vincent.

What I've been told is that you basically just have to get some scissors and cut it off, you could probably seel it to someone or give it to someone for free... I"ve also heard that some LFS's can give you 15$ for a fist full sized piece.

Yup scissors work great. Some shake the cheeto that they are removing over thier tanks to drop some of the pods into the display. As for how much. Depends really on how often you want to prune really. I'd look into what steve said too. Most of the time folks are looking for cheeto (Like me if I had a place to put it)

how much to prune depends on what you hope to accomplish with the cheato.

If it is for strict nutrient export, then frequent pruning will in effect take the nutrients out of the tank and also encourage more growth.

On the other hand, if it's main purpose is be a refugium - as in a place where pods/mini-stars breed, then you really just need to prune a little here and there to keep the ball healthy.