• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Purple Up or Purple Tech

Hey all, wondering if anyone uses Purple Up or Purple Tech?

I have a FOWLR setup now after moving away from a mixed reef tank to accomodate the fish I have wanted for some time. I still use Reef Crystals salt. I perform water changes every three weeks of about 15 - 20% I am trying to get my live rock (approx 85 lbs) to grow more coraline for nicer purple/red look since I no longer have corals to brighten up the tank.

Any luck with any of these products? Is it worth it?

Thanks in advance!!

I've used them before, they work pretty well actually. It's like calcium and magnesium and all the good stuff to jump start a coralline bloom. I would start off with one bottle and wait a month. Also, keeping your lights in the bluer spectrum will help the algae proliferate.

I used purple up in one of my tanks a while ago. The tank grew coraline easily and loads of it to where it was plating. But i also used a 2 part and mag. Def no bad effects from it though

PU can do some PU to your test kits for Alk, Ca++, giving high false readings. PU has no Mg++ in it as it is Aragonite. It is more or less "snake oil" or other things like it. It does, at times, act as a nice settling media for calcareous algae and corals.

I'm gonna try purple up on this new tank, see if I notice any difference in my existing SPS.....

maybe I can get the rocks to turn purple quicker too!

I see a lot of people on other forums have both sides of the debate saying don't knock it till you try it..... well, I'm gonna try it on this tank....maybe I'll document it too!